benchmark_kitchens

How Big Can we Have Our Kitchen Island? 3 Points to Consider...

Benchmark Kitchens & Interiors
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

"So how big can we have our island?" - a common question we are asked during initial discussions before we design a kitchen...

Well there are a few factors that dictate the answer;

Space, flow, and light.

• Firstly work out the space you need from walls, other work surfaces, the back of the table and chairs to walk around the island. Generally we work on a minimum of 90cm gaps. Once you take away this space, the room left will often dictate the maximum size of the island.

• The flow of the island must work with shape of the room, and the direction of traffic around it. You must be able to walk around it without feeling it has been stuck in your way.

• Lighting is a key factor. Both the natural, and ceiling lighting. You will not want to block out the light from the nice new bi-fold doors that have just been fitted, and you will not want those lovely pendant lights handing down in strange place. These lights can often be the key in positioning the island, when looking in from the outside or from the hallway, it has to look right from every angle.

Richard Miles - Director at Benchmark Kitchens

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.