rainbowgold1

Porcelain tiles (Inside and out) over suspended wood floor & concrete

rainbowgold1
6 years ago

Hi there, I have a large open space area which we are extending out the back of our house by 3 metres. The existing area is floorboards, normal joists etc. the extended 3 metre section (which is still going to be inside the house) is going to be concrete. After the 3 metres go out there will be sliding doors then another 4 metres of patio.

I am after covering the entire area, (quite a large area) in Porcelain tiles, inside and out versions of the same tile, so the outside will be rougher, slip resistant. possibly 20mm or 10mm not sure, I know some tiles do both and say both the 10 and 20 are fine for outside. (advice on this welcome)

I need some advice though.. where the extended 3m concrete area begins inside i've been told I need an expansion joint, which is like a rubber thicker bit between the tiles? I'm concerned as this will be the full width of the extension so does this then mean as its a straight line that I can't have wood effect tiles ie. they are staggered?

Also what exactly do I need?

We are having underfloor wet system heating so we will need flexible grout I think, but I want to get this advice correct, so that I don't experience cracking or any problems. Equally I don't want a really obvious line across the middle of my floor. The floor is going to be the main feature in this large space inside and out so I need to get this right.

Where the sliding doors are is fine, as its a natural break in the floor.

Any advice for how to lay on top of mixed underfloor materials would be very very grateful, also advice for laying the exterior patio as this will also be a large area, approx 4m x 9m does this also need expansion joints or anything?

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice

J

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.