amcox_us

Whole House Audio

A C
10 years ago
I need to decide what system and where o place the speakers. Does anyone know of systems to recommend? I've had a company suggest NuVo. Then there's Bose. I'm not familiar with any. Another comp any stated that I need 2 speakers. I'm not so sure if that I necessary. I also prefer in-ceiling speaker, oppose to exposed speakers.

The home that I'm building is three levels, with a basement. The basement will not be included in this phase, only the three levels. I plan to have the speakers in the bonus area on the third floor, master bed, master bath, main floor office, kitchen, deck off the kitchen, basement patio, possibly the family room hall.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments (65)

• PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Bose are an excellent solution for those who don't want to put much thought to their purchase. For Whole House Audio purposes, they offer very little in flexibility and sound quality when compared to similar priced systems. It's difficult to integrate other technologies with them as well. For this reason, we don't recommend using Bose for Whole House Audio systems.
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Home theater? Surround sound for TV? Bose? Other? As you can tell, since I'm building, I have several things going on. The surround will be for my TV in the family room. I will have a home theater in the basement. Yet, I want the whole house audio for the remaining portions of the home.

Thank you, again Devin, you have been wonderful.
  • Related Discussions

The Whole House

Q

Comments (3)
    Oh dear me & I thought the previous owners of my house (who I have named Bodge Job) did bad things !! Agree with above take one off & see how it is fixed on & then you might need to replaster. Good luck.
    ...See More

where to start my whole house is in need of work building plumbing wir

Q

Comments (3)
    I was in the same boat. broke it down into chunks. Got quotes. Created a budget. I save for each chunk and get it done, then start saving for the next. It does mean living in an unfinished house for a looong time but also gives me loads of time to have ideas and make decisions, which I like. FYI I started with a full rewire. Then downstairs plumbing, then structural work to kitchen, then new windows, then repairs to floors upstairs, then structural work to chimney. Still lots to do and it's cost far more than I ever imagined but it isn't as stressful as I imagined either.
    ...See More

Paint whole house 1 colour or not?

Q

Comments (1)
    Not sure why you’re posing the same question again
    ...See More

Whole house MVHR and windows

Q

Comments (19)
    we live in a house with mvhr and we find it great generally and only open the windows in extreme heat to provide ventilation. it is great and the difference in general air quality is noticeable. we also installed a water tank to recycle rainwater using it to flush toilets. this was a huge expense and something that in hindsight we probably wouldnt have installed. the payback period is long. but it gives us an advantage as we have water for the garden during hose pipe bans.. good luck with your build! best Rowland
    ...See More
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi amcox_us, Congrats on your new home! I've heard unflattering things about Bose, that they're much better at marketing than their actual products.
    Check out Paradigm speakers: Paradigm Studio 60 Floorstand speaker, Paradigm CC-490 Center speaker, Paradigm SA-10R Reference Round Ceiling Speakers, Paradigm Seismic 110 Subwoofer.
    Good luck! :)
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Does Sonos offer an in-ceiling system? Can I have the same options as Russound, NuVo, etc.? I really don't want speakers sitting all over the home. I like clean discreet look.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Sonos offers a variety of solutions. Not just table radios. Give these people a call. They're in Atlanta and most likely can offer you all the help you need. http://audioat.net
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! Devin - you are the greatest!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    My Pleasure!
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thoughts on the brands of speakers:

Sonance
    Niles
    Dynaudio
    JM labs focal
    Martin Logan
    Burmester
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    For sound quality purposes I prefer to use speakers from actual engineering companies as well as manufacturers. Dyn, JM are the two in your list who qualify as so. What this means is they have invested heavy into making better sounding speaker designed around the limitations of in-wall or in-ceiling mounting. Brands like Niles and Sonance use high quality components in a more generic plastic frame. We use Revel and Paradigm. Both are very advanced engineering companies and both are their own manufacturing companies. Dynaudio is nice but they have a very limited selection. I know nothing about the JM's other than their company is known for the high quality designs.
  • PRO
    Opus Audio | Video | Control Inc.
    10 years ago
    Hi amcox_us. Adding my opinion to this discussion, I have a slightly different point of view. While the decision of exactly which products to put into your home needs careful attention, you will find that even more important is to partner with a competent local professional and follow their advice carefully. The products you choose are only as good as the company who stands behind them. Ask the hard questions such as how long the company has been in business, what is the warranty and support policy. Also, it is important to establish a budget upfront, as electronic systems can vary widely in price. Avoiding sticker shock helps everyone better understand the parameters of your unique wishes and needs. I hope you find this useful. Peter
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! Great advice, Peter!
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What is a typical warranty period?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi amcox, I see warranty periods going from 90 days to 2 years. The important thing is to ask upfront what the warranty includes and for how long.
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Is it required to prewire a whole house audio system with wall volume controls? I have the builder contractor saying that it is a must. I'm considering getting the Sono. Other companies sell NuVo and Russound. Please help, before they get to this point.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I could better answer your question if you share the details of your system. How many rooms-zones do you intend to put speakers in? Can some of the rooms-zones share a single volume control? (kitchen and nook, foyer and hallway, pool, patio and yard)
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have 8 zones: kitchen, master bed, master bath, living room/office, basement patio, kitchen deck & 2nd floor hall. I want a system that can be controlled bey remote, iPad, and phone. I was told that Sono can accommodate both a wired speakers and wireless. So, I was thinking about that system. I haven't finalized my decision. NuVo and Russound are the other options. Somewhere down the road, I may consider a home automation system through the security.

Decisions Decisions.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Sonos would fit the bill for you and allow you to expand later if you wish. Have fun and enjoy the process.
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Does the contractor for the builder have to wire for a volume control on the wall? He says yes, but I heard that it isn't necessary and be better not to even have a wall control. He said, even if you didn't use it, he had to wire for it and he'd just put a wall plate over it. If that isn't true, I want to be able to challenge it. I don't want something like that on the wall. It doesn't look good. The Sono will allow me to use: iPad, phone and a remote. No néed for a wall volume control.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Typically, there is no need for an in-wall volume control with Sonos. Volume is usually controlled using your tablet or smartphone,
  • Katrina
    10 years ago
    Sonos Sonos Sonos. Everything else is now obsolete
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you very much! I forgot to add, if I plan to possibly add home type of home automation, would a prewire for the volume control be necessary or handy or more economical? Again, because the builder is saying that the VC prewire must happen and they just put it there and cover it with a wall mount. It just doesn't sound right, but what do I know. I'm just looking the reason that it might be needed. If so, would it just be in one location?
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I've never heard of volume controls being a must. Unless it's some strange regulation in your area there is no need for volume controls on the walls. Not using volume controls on the wall makes a huge sonic improvement too. Since you're going to have to demand they not do volume controls I'd also demand they pull 14awg speaker cable. NOT 16 or even worse, 18awg cable. If in the future you wish for a home automation system, you'll most likely control it with an iPad. Again, no need to prewire for it unless you feel you would like an ipad permanently mounted to the wall. Then yes, pull a hit of Cat5 to that foreseeable location. I would also recommend you pull Cat5 from a central location to any location that you might see AV components being placed such as TV's. This will allow for a direct network connection instead of wifi for streaming devices like Apple TV and the future of cable tv. It's also a good idea for a home office or where you envision a computer location to be.
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! Devin, I will try my best to give you a call tomorrow. I don't want to make a mistake when I have that discussion. I want my words to very accurate.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I'll be in the field all day tomorrow and won't be able to take your call. Tuesday would be better.
  • fromorma
    10 years ago
    Another Sonos lover here. It totally FREES your entire music collection, is easily expandable, and allows every family member to listen to something different at the same time. More and more third party services are building platforms that integrate with Sonos as well.
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Devin,

Do you have knowledge of Audio, Automation & Theater Company? Kevin has been very helpful. Being that I have no idea in this space, I'm totally exposed.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I'm sorry, I know nothing of their company other than what I found on-line for you. I'm available today if you wish to talk.
  • Mark Ciraulo
    10 years ago
    Definitely have your builder pull and route 14 gauge speaker wire and Cat5 through volume control locations throughout the home even if you choose not to put a gangbox and plate at the location.
    This way the cables can always be utilized later to facilitate the installation of other types of Audio and or home automation and control systems on the market.
    This also allows you to place static in-wall keypads provided by many whole house audio and home automation manufacturers In the future if you desire.
    Although we like the Sonos system we also offer the Nuvo system and it definitely has advantages over the Sonos solution, one of which is the ability to use static in wall keypads for local and whole house room control.
    Many clients like the functionality of utilizing both their iPad and static in-wall keypads for control of both their audio in home automation systems.
    As far as speakers go, we carry lines that provide the best audio quality for the dollar spent with lifetime warranties.
    We Have a satellite company in Anderson South Carolina named Carolina home theater If you need help finishing any of your home electronics.
    We also provide affordable contemporary home theater rooms and work with a wonderful artist out of Atlanta Georgia creating acoustically transparent home theater wall art that beautifies your theater room.
    If you have any questions or need help feel free to give us a call.
    Mark Ciraulo
    Hamptons Home Theater
    Carolina Home Theater
    631 353 2007
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mark, thanks for your feedback. So, the same wiring can be used for Home Automation?
  • Mark Ciraulo
    10 years ago
    Cat5 is the key and can Be utilized for both whole house audio in wall keypads or a home automation system.
    Our pre-wiring scheme actually provides for two Cat5 pulls to volume control locations even if they are just concealed behind the wall.
    This allows us to come in at any time after the finish of the home to install whole house audio, home automation, or even a complete home intercom system.
    I can discuss the other advantages to this scheme in more detail over the phone if you wish.
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Total Connect vs Control 4
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Control4 would be my strong personal preference between the two.
  • Mark Ciraulo
    10 years ago
    I would suggest Total Connect for an introductory type automation system.
    The Total Connect is a Security System with automation capabilities.
    Total connect allows offsite control of security, HVAC, lighting, door access, and camera viewing, but is limited in the number of devices the system can control.

I am not a fan of control4, not just because of it's inability to broadcast whole home audio without echo, or unexplained hiccups, mainly because of the manufacturers checkered history in it's treatment of dealers.

Elan for me would be a much better choice and solution for more advanced Home Automation.

Obviously, if you have a good sized budge you could opt for amx, Crestron, Savant.

Entry Level Automation-Total Connect
    Mid-level Automation-Elan
    High-level Automation-Crestron

The choice is really determined by needs and budget.

What do you want control of?
    Security, Lighting, Audio, Window Treatments, HVAC, Doors, Cameras, etc.

What is the budget for the automation system excluding the peripherals you want controlled?
  • PRO
    ALL DIGITAL, LLC
    10 years ago
    Hello, we are located in the Atlanta area.
    We will be glad to schedule a visit to discuss your project.
    www.alldigital-av.com
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sonos?
  • PRO
    ALL DIGITAL, LLC
    10 years ago
    Sonos is a good product, however, you will be limited to whole-house music only.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I like my sonos, but can't pull cable in current house.
  • PRO
    Chateau Begnaud
    10 years ago
    I have the Bose Lifestyle System in my house and have been very happy with it. I have about 8 zones, and have always enjoyed crisp, clear audio, and astounding home theater. I would highly recommend.
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    I also have Bose home audio system and LOVE it !
  • A C
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Please expand on the lack of the ability to pull cable and only being limited to whole house audio.

Can I have another system AND Sonos for additional rooms that aren't wired for ceiling speakers?
  • PRO
    ALL DIGITAL, LLC
    10 years ago
    amcox_us:

Sonos is a great whole-house audio solution, however, it is only audio. You can invest those $$ with Control4 or any other automation system. You can start with audio and add other features later like climate control, lighting, AV control, etc...

Hope this helps!
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 years ago
    Good input Room Service. I have enjoyed the sonos system as well if only looking for audio.
  • PRO
    Vincent Longo Custom Builders
    10 years ago
    I have had terrific success with the Control 4 system. In fact I won a gold OBIE award last evening for a home theater that we installed the control 4 system in. The judges were blown away at the performance and cost!
  • PRO
    Digital Logic Systems
    9 years ago
    Here's a system I just finished in Roswell. Maybe this can give you some ideas.

• Mark Ciraulo
    9 years ago
    We have spoke before and can handle any needs you may have in Atlanta.
    Mark Ciraulo
    Carolina Home Theater
    864 760 7922
  • elisalinscott
    8 years ago

amcox, what did you ultimately do? I am in the exact position you were in. what do you recommend?

• mmmmguinness33
    7 years ago

elisalinscott - Did you ever decide on a whole house audio system?

• PRO
    Home Theater San Diego
    7 years ago

For Whole House Audio Video in San Diego Ca, contact Dane @ Home Theater San Diego 619 595 1757

• gladatbeach
    5 years ago

we have wired paradigm speakers in 8 zones, cat 5 to each room and will probably go with Nuvo. I would go with Contol4, but they are so secretive about their specs and only speak with dealers. Any other ideas?

• PRO
    5 years ago

Gladatbeach; if you are only concerned with music, look at the Sonos system. I would recommend it over c4 and Nuvo in that scenario.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.