helen_harper4

Under mount sink problem

helen_harper4
28 April, 2018

We want to install a ceramic under mount sink in a 600mm cabinet before the granite worktop is fitted. But we also want to be able to remove the sink from below easily if the sink needs replacing. I think wood battens could not be taken off from below in a tight space. Any suggestions?

Bespoke Interiors Global

If you have another base units ether side of the base unit of the sink, you can then screw the wood battens with in the 2 base units either side of the sink

Bespoke Interiors Global

here is a under mounted sink that i installed for a customer, i made my own frame where the sink sits on then a batten below the frame supporting it (if you can zoom into the picture you can just see the support that hold the frame for the sink iam trying to find the a picture off the sink with out the worktop on top from my files, so you able to see the support and where to screw the battens with in the carcasses either side of the sink

• helen_harper4

Thanks for the helpful ideas Bespoke Interiors Redbridge UK. There is a drawer unit on one side and a dishwasher on the other so I will check if it is possible to screw from both sides. This is a great and simple solution if it is possible.

In the second idea I am not sure how you would remove this sink (whilst keeping the worktop in position). Could it be unscrewed and removed from below or are the battens/screwheads obscured by the sink?

Any more ideas, anyone? I have seen various adjustable contraptions on the internet from America but nothing that is reasonably priced and effective eg Cinclips are pricey. Also I need to fit into this cupboard a large tank/equipment for a Quooker Flex tap.

Bespoke Interiors Global

your in luck you can screw through either sides, you just need to take out the draws and the machine

You could also consider having the sink re enameled later rather than replacing it
    Bespoke Interiors Global

jonathan

that is a good idea,

but i would still recommend to allow the sink to be able to be removed

• helen_harper4

Can you re-enamel a ceramic sink? I thought enamelling was for metal sinks? This one is a Villeroy and Boch Subway 60.

Tim Wood Limited

If you are going to the trouble and expense of putting granite tops in, put in a good sink. We screw in wooden removable battens, that can easily be removed if you need to remove an underset sink. The granite installer will mastic between the sink and the granite. If the sink is a handmade fired one be aware that they slightly differ in size, so allow for this.

Chelsea Kitchen · More Info

Guildford painted kitchen designed and made by Tim Wood · More Info

American Black Walnut Vauxhall Kitchen designed and made by Tim Wood · More Info

• helen_harper4

Yes the sink is Villeroy and Boch Subway 60XU so it should be good quality. Would you batten this high up for the 1cm rim to sit on (this will make the battens difficult to remove) or batten at the bottom of the sink where the screwheads will be more accessible

Bespoke Interiors Global

you could have a free standing frame built

Tim Wood Limited

Chelsea Kitchen · More Info

The sinks above are Villeroy and Boch the sizes are very consistent (manufactured not handmade). We would batten up from the underside and wedge/pack into a fixed position so it is level and position exactly where it needs to be. I would make it 5mm lower than the granite so your granite installer can mastic on installation, speak to them.

Whoever is installing your battens needs to be aware/think of the wastes, waste disposal if you are having one and the installation of your taps. You do not want battens in the way of anything. Also, the battens should be removable from underneath at a later date easily. As to remove the sink you would need to remove all the wastes, cut the mastic and bypass everything underneath un-hindered.

• graceh32

Hi Helen, I work for a TV production company and we're currently looking for homeowners in London and the South of England with a design dilemma to feature on a new home makeover series for a major UK broadcaster. Our renowned TV property guru is looking to work with homeowners to help you transform your space.

If you're interested in finding out more about our exciting new series please get in touch on the details below:

Email apply@outlineproductions.co.uk or call 02031502742

Many thanks!

Grace