yathenaa

Georgian Flat wall mystery - help needed

yathenaa
5 years ago
I just moved into an old Georgian Flat that sits across 2 original buildings. There’s one internal wall that should be weight bearing (as it sits between the 2 original houses) but the very bottom section (from ground up to around 30cm height) sounds hollow on one side when we knock on it.

The issue I have with it at the moment is that the wall paper which appears old, has “popped out” on this bottom section. See photos attached. I tried to fix this problem by lifting the bottom of the wallpaper and sticking it back down with glue. But as I lifted the wallpaper the paster lifted off at some places along with it. It’s also cracking and falling apart.

I’m not sure what to do now. My initial concern is with the appearance of the wall. Now I’m also slightly concerned about the integrity of the wall. Although it has been here for hundreds of years so it should be OK? One can hope...

If someone could please advice on how I can fix the wall myself that would be really helpful! I’d rather not get a plasterer to do the whole wall as that will cost too much! Thank you a million!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.