babita_maria

Warped Batten Fencing Help Please

Maria B
5 years ago

Hello, I would greatly appreciate some advice from a fencing professional please as I'm in a dilemma.

I have just had my new batten fencing done around the whole of my back garden, as per the photo, which I love, but since it has been done 3.5 weeks ago about 10 battens have warped and bent badly and there are cracks in the wood.

These are all on the right hand side of the garden and have happened gradually over the past 3.5 weeks. I have about 200 battens in total around the garden which cost me £4500.

There were all cladded so fitted to the inside of my existing posts and fence. Before proceeding with this batten/cladded fencing I did highlight many times that I need good quality fencing that will last 10 years or so and as this looked nicer and the labour was cheaper than fence panels I went for this.

I owe the gardener half of the money still but raised a concern that if 10 pieces have bent in just 3 weeks then what will happen in a few months and a years time.

The gardener said he will change the 10 battens now and didn't seem to say too much when I expressed my concerns about the warping, other than that;s what wood does. If I knew this could happen I would have paid more to get proper fence panels, as need my fence to last many years.

Once I pay him the balance I am scared that my whole fencing will warp and fall apart after a while, and by then then my gardener may not even be around. I am worried that even if I put something in writing to him, it may not protect me as he's not from a big company.

Can you please advise me on this type of fencing and what I should propose to the gardener to resolve this. Photos of the warped wood and cracks attached. Many many thanks!!!

This is the batten fencing I have in the whole garden

Here is one of the warped battens

A few pieces have also cracked

Cracked... The wood was treated with protection

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.