emily_hart4873

Alignment of window and bifold doors dilemma

Emily Hart
5 years ago
We are renovating our annexe. It has a London roof line which we have to keep as roof joins the neighbours. Our dilemma is we would like the top of the bifold doors to line up with the top of the kitchen window. The builder has just told us to do that we would need to move the window right over to the left. This is so the window fits underneath the rafters with enough space. It cannot go higher where it is because new rafters are going in and insulation and there simply isn’t the space. So we would need to move the window right over to the left which would mean knocking down that part of the wall. Would also mean sink and drainer wouldn’t sit squarely underneath window. The builder is hesitant because this will all be quite costly. As you can see they are already having to demolish a lot of wall to put 2 runs of bifold in. However designwise I think having everything at the same height would work much better athletically. The rest of the house is 1860s Victorian and the windows don’t all line up especially as we have a large porch with a window above the front door that doesn’t line up with the rest of the sashes. However when we renovate our annexe that is very much going to have a modern feel to it and separate to the rest of the house. So I thought having everything aligned would work much better. Architect does too. Hubby doesn’t want extra big cost but I really don’t want to regret not pushing my case.

Anyway any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Photo 1: the front of the Annexe. Window on left to be replaced with modern dark grey aluminium window. Bifold in same material to replace French doors.

Photo 2: our porch. To be rendered in flat white same as annexe will be.

Photo 3: main house next to annexe. Main house windows changing to white sash.

Photo 4: end of Annexe. Wall to be built with further run of bifold where hole is.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.