sparklybloom

Bathroom not working - need help with finishing touches

Jade Byng
5 years ago

I put a new bathroom into my house a few years ago on a fairly tight budget. It was before I really knew my own taste or had much decorating experience. It has resulted in a bland room which I don’t enjoy being in. I have added photos from all angles (obviously there is some kid clutter but that is temporary).

I can’t change much since it was done so recently. The suite is all fine enough. i originally chose the larger tiles so there would be less grout lines and I liked the way they were laid which reminded me a little of Japanese style with the stacked rectangles. I put in the green tiles which are actually very shimmery and watery looking in real life, but have a multi coloured effect when light shines onto them, which I hadn’t planned on. I painted the wall a mid grey this year from a beigey colour to try to give It some contrast and depth. It does look better but the room still isn’t working.

I now know that I actually like different textures and materials, I like contrasts and I like to add curves. I wish there was one ‘special’ thing in the room. I originally thought those green tiles would be the special thing, but it didn’t work and it’s a bit naff. I like the linen blind so don’t want to change that. The huge mirror above the toilet is necessary storage so I can’t change that. In an ideal world, i would change the flooring to something like a small marble penny tile but my husband isn’t happy for any more money to be spent here and he likes the practicality of the vinyl So it has to stay.

I don’t know how to get the feel I would like with this as a base. I can’t add an attractive light next to the mirrored cabinet as there isn’t room. The bath/shower area will pretty much have to stay as it is, I had planned to decant bath stuff into the Amber containers to make it more attractive. The glass vase on the shelf is too big for the faux eucalyptus I had in there. The pot with the plant in was a short term measure and I will change it for something maybe plain white. None of the accessories on the windowsill have exactly been put there intentionally, they’ve just been left there not quite working. I like the marble accessories but they have No impact dotted around (toothbrush holder, soap pump and container on windowsill). I particularly hate the wall with the towel storage and towel radiator on it. They’re both the same awkward height and it looks horrible. I’d love to put a picture or two on the wall there and maybe have a small display area in the corner but it won’t work with the towel storage. I could possibly change that for something smaller so that I could put a picture or a group of pictures with the smallest ending up a bit over the radiator? The height of it seems all wrong.

How can can I make this room look more luxurious and special with only accessories? Help!

Comments (34)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.