petra_b

Upholstery and colour scheme for living room with heritage furniture

Petra B
5 years ago

Dear Houzzers,

I need an advice for colour scheme of a living/dining room in my parents house. The room is quite spacious and has a lot of natural light. There is oak herringbone parquet flooring, walnut wood furniture inherited from my great-grandparents from the beginning of 20th century, two old but beautiful rugs, a dining table with upholstered chairs and big corner sofa with three armchairs. Now my parents want to change the upholstery on the dining chairs and the sofa as it is almost 50 years old and it is damaged and worn out.

I would need some advice on what upholstery fabric and wall colour to select to get a room that will work well together. Before, the dining and living part were in different rooms and now I have a feeling that there are too many patterns (rugs, chairs, sofa). On the other side I don't want the room to end up bland.

Also I am not sure whether to make clear distinction between the two zones (dining and living) by different wall colour or not. It would be also nice to add a little bit of more contemporary feeling to the room. Could you please suggest what colour and/or patterns would work in your opinion?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.