howard_busby

Some help with open plan layout for new build pls!

Howard Busby
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi everyone,

I could do with some advice as i'm way out of my depth with a new build for me, my partner and mother. We've been working with architects for a few months and this is what's going into pre-planning. So not set in stone, but close.

We're on the right hand side, mum on the left, and we're currently struggling with the open L shaped room due to some quite particular requirements and no experience at all (we're atcually struggling with lots more, but this will do for a start!). This is what we've mocked up:

The first question is - is anything obviously wrong with this layout? I've been reading up on flow and open plan design and am now going in circles. Re. particular requirements - my better half wants a pool table. She has talked about one for the last 20 years and now is the time! - and mine is the dining table, which needs to be 6' * 4' (geeky wargaming purposes), or extend to that size as pictured. The main uncertainty is the area immediately after you walk into the room, essentially between two tables. They're about 1.90m from the door wall, so plenty of space to walk around them, but i'm still uncertain that it works.

Alternatively, there's a plan with a combi dining/pool table which opens that door area up, but takes away what would have been a good portion of our kitchen/storage on the right most wall:

This is due to the combi tables being larger (the pool table in the first picture is a small, English pool table about 6' long). If we keep the units, the combi table gets pushed out so a part of it is in front of the doorway:

Which brings me on to question two. How close is too close for having a bit of furniture in front of a doorway? In this case, it would be about 1.7m, so perhaps not an issue at all? Part of the problem is our inability to imagine space!

Other options have been flipping the lounge and kitchen and various combos of kitchen layout:

Any ideas on what works, or doesn't work? We've never lived or spent any time in an open plan area and any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated!

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.