melanie_mason46

Help! Roof tile / cladding / rendering suggestions and ideas.

We love the inside space and location of our house but have never warmed to the exterior look. The main 'issues' we have are;

1. The pantile roof. It is very jarring and 'in your face' with the catslide.

2. The right side of the house under the hipped roof looks a bit 'dumpy'

3. The brick is VERY red (looks worse in real life) and the overall look of the house is quite dark when you drive up.

We are having the loft converted and will take the opportunity to re-tile the roof. We also have planning approval to change the hipped part of the roof to a gable (and the dormer too), which would hopefully lift that side of the house.

However, we are going round in circles over what roof tiles to have. Hubby likes the sleek look of slate but I'm worried it will look dark and a bit clinical. I like the look of clay tiles (particularly some of the coloured blends) but don't want to overdo the red.

If we did the gable, matching the brickwork will be an issue (and the decorative diamond will be in a weird position) so we were thinking of cladding or rendering that wall - with the intention to also break up the amount of red brick on display. But again - cannot decide on weatherboard or render or a combination of the two. Adding to the confusion, there is a lovely development of arts and crafts style homes near us and we both like the vertical tiling and are considering that for the gable wall as well - perhaps combined with rendering?

Any advice / ideas / inspiration would be very gratefully received!

be very gratefully received!!

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.