webuser_26876240

renewable heating dilemmas

Mary Ketchley
3 years ago

In our old house we bought solar PV and I really liked it. We definitely saved money on bills and I liked knowing we were using some renewable tech. I always felt that there was a wasted opportunity though. Surely we could have a system where the electrical energy powered some kind of immersion heater to generate hot water? Obviously you’d still need a boiler for less sunny days but even less sunny days still generate some power and if that heated the water a bit it would reduce gas costs.

I know you can get systems that just heat water in a solar panel but obviously you don’t get electricity from that. I also know that the boom in solar PV is over but I still think it could be worth it for us, especially when we all transition to electric cars. By that stage I could have 4 drivers in the family.

Since we moved to our 1970s house in early 2019 I have wanted to renovate the heating system (and the bathrooms and maybe do a bit of building work). I want the heating/hot water system to be able to supply 2 bathrooms at once and provide much more even heating across the home. Can I combine all these ‘wants’? Has anyone got experience of having a system like this? For what it’s worth I have an almost due south rear facing roof.

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.