t_graylish

Crazy but it might just work, or just plain crazy?

T Gray
3 years ago

After a long break from diy (I must have been one of the few who hasn't done any this year :-/ ) we are now looking at our front room. It's the last of the rooms before we have to spend sqillions on the kitchen and bathrooms. We have 3 floors in an Edwardian and the ground floor is more traditional with a library, a dining room with panelling and a hall with original encaustic tiles. We don't want to be completely slavish to the traditional look though.
There is an original Edwardian oak fireplace with dark red tiles in the room. I want to keep that, so we need to work around it. I also have an antique mirrored sideboard that reflects the styling of the fireplace. We have a vintage rug in mainly red and dark blue that I would like to use too.
The crazy comes in the form of painting the walls dark blue, getting a massive flower mural up on one wall and sticking a mustard velvet chesterfield in there in front of the mural.
Is this a goer? Will it be too much? Will it be mad but awesome? I just don't know. Has anyone else got this kind of maximalist look they can share?

It's crazy, but it might just work!
How terribly passé dahlink...
Nice but will date quickly like an avocado bathroom suite.
I have a room just like that!
Oh my eyes, it burns!

Comments (33)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.