louisehodgson62

Ideas for guest bedroom

Luigi

My elderly mum wanrts to update the guest bedroom and is struggling for ideas. It is a good size room approx 5m x 4m and is south west facing.She would like to keep the bookcase (but is happy for it to be placed elsewhere) and a large chair which she is considering having ew-upholstered. The chaise long could also stay.

She wants to put a double bed in, and ideally rather than changing the carpet she is thinking of rugs either side of the bed (although I'm trying to persuade her to have one big rug that also goes under the bed).

The wardrobes run all along the same wall that has the door on. The window currently has vertical blinds and we will definitely be changing those.

We are working on a limited budget so its probably more about colours etc. Any ideas would be welcome, thank you.

Harrisons Interiors

Hi Luigi,

Your dilemma is a good dilemma to have. You have a fantastic size space and a lot of built in storage which is great. It would be great to understand where all of the walls in the picture are positioned.

I can create 2D or 3D images of the space and how it could look to bring it to life. Ask me for details. I know you have a tight budget. We have packages to suit everyones needs.

Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks

Jon Harrison

Harrisons Interiors

• E D

Surely, someone can provide some real advice? 🙂

Luigi thanked E D
  • Sonia

Hi Luigi, so really you are looking for wall colours and curtains maybe? Would you or your mum be prepared to paint the wardrobes? Perhaps painting them a soft white in a Satinwood or eggshell finish would freshen them up and reduce the shine. As to wall colour, the world is your oyster! Are there any colours she loves? For example I love green so that’s what I would choose, but she may hate green! Also does she prefer modern or traditional style. I’m going to share some pictures of bedrooms which you could show to her, and if she a certain we can work from there.

Luigi thanked Sonia
  • Luigi

Hi Sonia

Thanks for replying. Yes, its the colour scheme I'm wary of. My mum tends to go for very caramelly colours thinking it will warm areas up, but sometimes it can be a bit too dull and sad looking. The existing carpet, whilst generally in good condition, is very 'dark' at the edges by skirting boards and I'm not sure that will clean up. But as it's only for rare guest visits, I hope ive persuaded her that a large rug would distract from the carpet edges once we have some furniture in there.

Mum did mention putting a dark blue on the 'window' wall and then something lilaccy on the other walls, but I havent seen the actual colours she means yet. I'm bothered the room may feel cold in those colours. It is not a warm room as its got 2 outside walls. What are your thoughts?

• Luigi

Hello again all..apologies for the recent lack of response. we're finally at the stage where my mum has decided she wants to go for a darkish blue on the 'headboard' wall, which is the wall in first pic with the teeny tiny (hideous) picture on it. - either Homebase Aegean or Dulux Sapphire salute - and she quite fancied a lilac colour (Homebase Sweet Lavender or Dulux Violet white) but i'm worried it will be quite cold looking against the blue. Would a soft pink (Homebase Hush Pink or Dulux Blush Pink) be better?

And would you do the woodwork in white?

I'm sorry I dont know how to attach the colours I mentioned...

• двойка чебурашка

Hello everyone. it's hard now to get acquainted with a decent girl on the street in real life. Now only in internet dating people are getting acquainted, I now prefer the site My Blacky. I like that everything is simple here - I registered, wrote a questionnaire and the computer itself selects a pair for you. I really like the selection system very accurately by the way.

• mii2

Hi Luigi,

Some excellent ideas from others here already. Rugs can be a tripping hazard , worth bearing in mind more longer term. You may find sinking the money into a new carpet now may be a better financial decision than buying a rug that later needs to be removed.

Luigi thanked mii2
  • Sonia

Navy is very popular as a feature wall. Lilac could work. Lilac can be so many different hues, some are more pink and therefore warmer and some more bluey grey and cooler. My bedroom has a mauve feature wall and I don’t find it cold at all. If you want a warmer look then a soft pale pink would look good. However, it wouldn’t go with the current wardrobe colour. The carpet would go I feel.

Luigi thanked Sonia
  • Luigi

Thanks Sonia. I'm struggling with the wardrobes to be honest, would toy go with the soft colour we pick for the walls & paint them the same? Or another soft shade?

Mii2 Good poimt about the rug v carpet. I think once we get the room painted things will become clearer...

• Sonia

Hi Luigi, it does depend on what you use for the walls. If it’s lilac or pink, I would suggest a soft grey for the wardrobes? That way if your mum fancies a change of decor the grey would go better?

Luigi thanked Sonia
    Silv Designs
    last modified: 13 days ago

Hi Luigi,

I would put the bed here the bookshelf where currently as you have the sockets which will be on each side if the bed.

In terms of colours i think light grey will look nice and if you are passionate for DIY you can make a feature wall (see image below) and maybe paining that wall darker grey.

Other option is to make a shelf behing the bed which is going to be the cheaper and easier way to acheave that feature effect.

Wardrobe you can just change the handles.

If you give me the exact measurement of the room (the window, door etc.) and the wardobe i am happy to make you a free 3D design and a plan.

I recently went private and i need more projects for my website :)

Luigi thanked Silv Designs
  • Luigi

Thanks Sonia. So my mum has decided on Homebase Aegean for the headboard wall, which is a sort of dark denim blue with Dulux Violet white for the other walls. What colour for the wardrobes would you think based on that scheme? They are formica type finish (I think ) so is there a special paint we should use? (I keep reading goor write ups about Frenchic but dont know anyone personally who's used it))

I love your ideas Silv, however we're only doing a basic painting exercise so not wanting to create that lovely panelling / shelving etc so it wouldnt be a project worthy of your websiteI'm afraid. Very kind of you to offer though. You make a good point about moving the bed to where sockets are, but I suspect she wouldnt want to move it, mainly for sentimental resons. . I will suggest it to her though.The room is always going to be a little old fashioned in my opinion as she wants to keep a lot of her stuff in there (at 88 she doesnt like too much change). Oh, and I've drafted my brothers in to do the painting so the 'after' pics might not be as good as we'd like!