webuser_636389795

Ground floor layout dilemma, full open plan or separate living

Lawrence Meakins
3 years ago

Hi,

We are about to start building works on house and having layout ground floor layout dilemmas. We currently have old conservatory top left in the picture of current layout that suffers all the usual problems of being freezing in winter and boiling in summer and as attached to current house without external doors makes everything really cold. We are replacing it with a brick built extension and had decided to go open plan right across the back with kitchen to diner to living looking out on garden. This also gives us a utility room where can hang washing that can't go in a tumble dryer which currently ends up on racks in living space.

Been reading loads of articles about pros and cons and we are lucky enough to have another small lounge for kids to go to for play/smaller tv if needed. In both layouts the washing machine/tumble dryer would be tucked away so not a noise concern.

We are a bit worried whether my partner who does the kids lunch boxes in evenings normally in peace and quiet would be annoyed by me watching TV at the other end, the smaller lounge is under the youngest kids bedroom and have to always mess with volume when there is a loud bit so would want to be in the main part. Conversely not sure if the dishwasher, vent and banging around would annoy me on the TV - probably not to be honest as I'll likely just turn it up which won't go down well at the other end !

The other option is to leave kitchen where it is and have diner in old conservatory and living room separate. The kitchen will be a bit dark and won't overlook garden so much and we lose the larger utility and somewhere to hang coats and ditch shoes which hang out in hallway at moment.

Absolutely torn over decision as could easily regret whatever we chose, the full open plan is going to be more expensive as if we go that route we will go underfloor heating and definitely go for big sliders also to stop main entrance going through utility would remodel office by removing wall so entrance is straight through and can see garden from front door.

Any advice greatly appreciated as there seems to be a bit of a turn against full open plan living from recent articles read. We could try and get some bifolds between kitchen and diner/living but it is all a bit tight on space with seats on back of island and around dining table.

Loz

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.