kos78

Looking for advice on working with kitchen designer

kos78
3 years ago

Hello!

I am currently working with a kitchen designer on a full kitchen remodel. We started the process in January, it took her about 6 weeks to get back to be with a design (which I paid up front for), another 4 weeks to bring someone out to measure and take a look at electrical/plumbing, and then another 2 weeks to send me a quote. Which is where I am now. The quote wasn't really finished and was on the high side of things. I do think once I put the deposit down, she will meet all timelines and expectations. She runs a small design center that is very busy.

My question is when working with a kitchen designer, how detailed do they usually get with you? And how many changes do you usually make once the original design is given to you? The cabinets were quoted at 38,000, that is not including demo and install, and I would like more information on what I'm getting. Sometimes I'll ask a question and she will answer it, but then I'll ask again and she'll correct herself saying she misspoke the first time (ie do the cabinets go to the ceiling). Or I'll ask her to switch something or address something and she says she will do it and get back to me, and then doesn't.

Is it a lot to ask a kitchen designer to go through the layout section by section in cabinets? I've only met with her 3 times - no longer than an hour each and it always seems rushed and vague. Is this normal? I've never done this before, so maybe kitchen designers just assume you trust them and let them go with it. I did ask her why the higher cost on the cabinets - and she said there are just a lot of custom pieces in there. And I was thinking, well maybe I don't want to the custom angles, I could probably do without the whole additional section. It's just little things like that. I'd be happy to dm the design to anyone who is curious.

I don't know maybe I'm expecting too much! What do you think?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.