holly_cummins84

Are flush ceiling lights dated? Can pendants go in high traffic areas?

Holly C.

I've just moved into a house, and feel a lot of the ceiling lights are dated.

The kitchen has lights like this, and I feel a row of pendant lights would look more modern. It's over an island, so pendants should be fine.

Things get trickier in the bedrooms and study. The study has a light like this, but held together with rawl plugs (?!).

... and this is one of the bedroom lights. Apologies for the blurry photo, I shouldn't have tried to photograph it at night!

I've looked around at other flush and semi-flush lights, and they also look dated to me. Am I right that pendants would look better, or do I just have an irrational dislike of flush lights? I worry that a pendant light in an office would be a hazard since it will be in an area that gets walked through. My ceilings are 2.5m or so, so fine, but not especially high.

Our style is industrial-meets-period, but I'm not a fan of bare bulb fittings because it seems like they make bulb shopping a nuisance. I just can't seem to find non-dangly non-obstructive lights I like!