stellaon

Kitchen/Breakfast room design - desperately need ideas!

Stella O
2 years ago

Hi! We are about to move into a new home and already know we want a new kitchen. Where we are stuck is how to best use the space we will have. The kitchen was added onto the side of the house years ago, along with a study room (front). Next to the kitchen is a breakfast room that has been partially knocked through to the kitchen. The kitchen is 20cm lower than the study or the breakfast room and I think would feel to cramped if we were to raise it. I have been playing with ideas for the last 6 months but still haven't found one I feel happy with!

Ideally I'd like some kind of seating but it won't be our main dining area. Also thinking of some place for coats, mops, vacuum etc. Extending the kitchen into the study makes it feel too long and narrow which I don't like. Moving part of the kitchen into the breakfast area doesn't really work as we will be knocking a double door through to the living/dining

room on the opposite side to the kitchen so wall space is limited (and need room for radiators - maybe change to tall narrow ones!). We'd also like to get more light in there.

At the moment I'm back to my first thought which was to change the study to a laundry/mud room and not knock through (or maybe a door) and put the fridge in the corner of the breakfast room adjacent to the kitchen - but I am convinced there is a better way to use the space!! I'm just not creative enough to see it!

I'll attach a rough plan I did of the 3 rooms and some pictures of how they look at the moment. If anyone has any great ideas - I'd love to hear them! Our budget is not huge as we have the whole house to do up!

Thanks in advance for any inspiration!

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.