webuser_578295075

Layout/location of utility room within new extension

HU-578295075
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi,

I'm planning an extension on my 3-bed 1930s semi.

I've attached two photos here and would appreciate some ideas with respect to the layout and location of the utility room within my new extension.

First image is of the current layout.

Second image is a sketch of the new proposed extension with location of utility room (pretty much the current galley part of the kitchen).

We've considered the following:

1. Making the current window in the galley kitchen a door to enable outside access from shared drive.

2. Dividing the space to have a seperate utility and downstairs loo (so entrance from hallway to loo and entrance to utility from new kitchen space).

3. May be putting the loo partially under the stairs to enable two seperate spaces.

4. Having one space with loo/utility all in one room accessed from hallway. I like the idea of having a large larder cupboard where it is on the sketch but this would mean access to utility from the hallway.

The plumbing is already there - the dishwasher and washing machine are current located in the galley kitchen area below the window/in the corner up from the window.

I'd like to have a loo/basin, space for washing machine/tumble drier (planning to stack these), perhaps a larger sink for hand washing clothes and then just plenty of storage.

Several friends have said it makes more sense to have a door from the kitchen to utility, but that would mean I'd lose my large larder upboard (although I could then have a smaller on inside the utility room). My thoughts are that I bring down the washing from upstairs and the utility will be for clothes washing and drying.

ANy thoughts welcome!

Thanks.

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.