webuser_636389795

Flooring dilemma - seamless or not ?!

Lawrence Meakins
2 years ago

Hi,

Forum been great help so far in design, we have progressed to the stage of flooring and thrown today after flooring company recommended doing something different to originally planned.

Here is the design of ground floor :

We are keeping existing carpet in lounge top left and going for a modern looking grey patterned tile across the back in the open plan sitting, dining and kitchen area and also into the pantry and utility.

We had planned on going for luxury vinyl tile from the entrance door top middle through into the hall up to the glass bi-folds shown in the middle. From the front door you can see right through the house to the garden and so would see the two different flooring styles. The rear has underfloor heating but hall and entrance doesn't and thought the tiles might feel/look bit cold. Now we can see the floor levels would mean bringing the area planning on the vinyl tiles being bought up about 10mm before they are laid. We would likely need a transition strip across where the bi-folds are going - they bi-folds are top hung so have no track.

Flooring company recommended just tiling throughout in the same tile for a seamless look and tend to agree.. The front of the house is quite traditional with mahogany stained front door, windows and also staircase and thought the grey tile wouldn't fit quite as well here. Another option thrown in was to use wood as wouldn't need to bring floor up and also all the skirtings are off so no transition strips needed at edge although still need one across what will be the main through fare when it goes from wood to tile. Was bit worried wood in main hall with kids would wear badly and need maintenance.

The other problem is that to tile the hall would need to use tiles from a different batch - taken a look and with that style quite hard to see but likely to be a slightly different shade.

What would people do - go seamless with tiles from different batches or go with vinyl or wood and have the transition visible as well as a strip to separate ?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Lawrence

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.