webuser_912487055

1930s Middle Room Layout Advice

Chânelle Sharp
2 years ago

Hello,

We have finally (after a very long conveyancing and one failed Victorian house purchase) got the keys to our 1930s semi detached house!

It is a blank canvas and is in some need of some serious modernisation, which we are looking forward at getting stuck into. We are in the process of getting some builders quotes right now as the work is far beyond our DIY skills!

I like to think that i've exhausted all options with coming up with a new floor plan for downstairs, but I thought I'd ask for your advice as I'd love to see if there's something I've just not thought about!

Some background info for you, there's 2 of us in this 1930s house (maybe a dog after all the reno work!). I work from home, and my partner works from home for half the week as well. We're converting the loft into a master with ensuite, so it'll end up being a 4 bedroom house – I don't particularly want to lose two of the bedrooms to home offices, so our thoughts are to have one set up downstairs that looks onto the garden – I also like being crafty so I think the space here is perfect for any arts and crafts!

Where the current kitchen is, we'd look to turn into a utility room with WC. The boiler sits on the right hand wall, and is only 5 years old so I'm not sure where else I'd move this to.

Between the front and middle room, we'd put back in the wall with pocket doors – I think that the pocket doors would actually remain open 95% of the time to let light through from the front bay window to the back.

The middle room is where I anticipate to move the kitchen, my reasoning and thinking behind this is based on wanting the office to be in the back single storey extension overlooking the garden where there is plenty of natural light. I don't want the middle room to become a 'through-passage / dumping ground / unused space' which I've found lots of people on here seem to also have similar problems with. My intention is to remove the chimney stack and have the cabinets and the sink on the left hand side, with the island in the middle that has the hob.

The single storey extension at the back is currently one room, and one weird conversatory (not so sure what this was ever for) space?! This will be pulled down and put back up, it'll have two large windows and one double doors, with either 2/3 velux windows so it'll be lovely and light! This space will house the office and the dining table & chairs.

Existing floorplans and my proposed one attached.

Thank you in advance for getting to the end of this mini essay, and if you take the time to reply, thank you I look forward to seeing your ideas!

Chânelle

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.