mountaintidings

Please share your favorite/most durable interior finishes & materials!

Hi, we are planning a new build and my goal is to make it as low-maintenance and worry-free as possible.

We own two dogs, I’m very clumsy plus I bake and cook a lot, husband is an avid outdoors person… we are always going to track in dirt/chip delicate surfaces/have sauce splatters & too many hot pans and baking sheets being used at once, shed fur & scratch things!

Everything needs to be easy to clean/hide tracked in dirt/be very durable & take abuse.

What are your tried & true building material & design suggestions? Grout colors? Tile shape/type? Countertop edge style? Easy to clean toilet? Sink that’s least likely to chip or scratch? Etc…

(The one thing I really deeply dislike is laminate flooring. Other than that I’m open to any and all suggestions!) I’d love a rustic hand sawn look floor that hides scratches but what I’ve I read says they tend to trap dirt etc. in the grooves. Not limiting the discussion; just sharing as an example… it feels like there are pros and cons to everything and I really want to keep things simple (both in style/design and our decision-making process!)

Comments (39)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.