webuser_43060127

Material options for re-cladding of stair

Francesco
last year

Hi all, I have just removed an old carpet from my stair, revealing the basic MDF steps beneath. the flat is a council flat from the 80s, and it is likely that the stair was always meant to be carpeted. This is the main access stair to my flat, located on the first floor and with the front door on the ground floor.

I would like to reclad the stair in timber and, with my basic DIY skills (but a keen interest in learning more about woodworking) I am thinking of doing this myself.

This would be done by cladding the existing steps as I have seen in several tutorials, by glueing/nailing wood boards to the risers and goings.

I am not keen to buy the prefabricated sets I have seen at B&Q etc because of their price and I am writing here to find other cost-effective alternatives.

The flat has new engineered oak flooring throughout and the stair could match that. The flooring boards I used for the floor are 150mm wide and of varying lengths so I am not too convinced about using them to do the stair as it would look a bit patchy. Having had a look online, solid oak boards are quite expensive so I was wondering whether a veneered MDF with 0.5mm real oak veneer on either side could be a suitable alternative, but I am wondering how hard-wearing this would be? There is an option for oak edging as well.

I also looked at pine boards, although they are generally sold in widths narrower than my goings (i.e. less than 280mm), except when buying a 'cill' or 'shelf' board. The pine could be stained to look like oak, or alternatively, I could paint it in a solid colour which is something I would be happy to consider from a design standpoint.

I have also seen plywood stairs online, but I wonder how suitable this would be for a stair that would be used daily. If I were to use plywood I might opt for hardwood plywood or marine plywood and possibly paint it and further treat it.

Any thoughts or tips on the above, or other alternatives? What are the pros and cons of solid oak v veneered oak v pine v plywood? If anyone has any experience to share that would be much appreciated!

Lastly, just to add a detail on the design, I would probably not have a nosing, just a square edge.

Many thanks!

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.