webuser_639862595

Making a pantry into a utility room - with a little bit of mold!

Irene K
last year

Hello Houzz community,

I was hoping to ask for your expertise and advice on something we want to work on. We have this small pantry room by our kitchen which was previously used for storage of cleaning products etc. from the previous house owners.

We are hoping to make it into a utility room and put a washing machine + tumble dryer with some shelving on the side for better use of space.

This room comprises of a window (cannot open) and a vent on the bottom that leads to the garden (air brick). There is a small issue. When we removed the shelves we saw a little bit of mold forming around the vent cover, not much at all, but just to the left and right of it.

This room is quite cold as there is a lot of cold air coming in and the window has quite a lot of condensation in the morning. I am surprised there is mold to be honest as it is well ventilated.

As part of the utility room project, I was planning to board up the window and basically make it look like a cupboard but leave the vent. I am now worried that mold might still be coming in and it will just keep growing on the boarded up wall. Should I completely cement and close the vent all together and maybe add a small fan leading to the outside instead?

I have no use for this window or this vent (condenser tumble dryer) and I just want it to look like a utility room cupboard without worrying that there will be mold or condensation, so any suggestions you might have would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.