holly_cummins84

Distressed marble floors and flawless wall tiles - a style clash?

Holly C.
last year

I'm going round in circles choosing bathroom tiles. I'm on my third "definitely final" plan, because it's such a daunting amount of money (especially at today's prices). Tiles also seem to be one of the most irreversible parts of the whole design decision.

The bathroom is in the eaves, so it has a large floor area but not much in the way of walls. The eaves are quite steeply sloping. I've ruled out the relative safety of while tiles and coloured walls because there just isn't enough wall. most of the room is ceiling, not wall. The ceiling is a bit oppressive so I don't think colour-drenching walls and ceiling in a dark colour would work.

I loved this room, and considered adopting it wholesale. The wall tiles are Johnson Prismatics, and I like that they do matching trims for niches, windows-in-showers, etc. The floor tiles are Vives Goroka Grafito - but I think they're a bit too wild and high-contrast for such a significant investment. (And they're also increasingly hard to source in the UK.)

Blue-tiled main bathroom with slipper bath and geometric flooring - Hove · More Info

I want a floor that can stand up to the walls, though, so I've ruled out plain black (too dark) and plain white (too bland). I'm now leaning towards a chequerboard marble in a tumbled finish. I'm hoping the tumbled finish will need a bit less coddling than honed, and show etching less.

This is the one on my shortlist: https://www.mandarinstone.com/product/di-scacchi-tumbled-marble/

However, they've shown it with an antiqued wall tile. Would the rustic marble look wrong with a very sanitary, smooth, even wall tile like the Prismatic? I wonder if Johnson Savoy, which has a bit of colour variation, would look better - or perhaps I should give up on matching trims and go for a different wall brand entirely, with a rustic tile finish?

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.