webuser_18537617

Can you extend a log burner chimney flue yourself?

Alexandra Davies
last year
last modified: last year

I have an external chinmey breast for my log burner in my living room and I want to create the illusion of a chinmey breast so I can create alcoves. I've spoken to a carpenter who is happy to build me the fake chimney breast and shelves/cupboards for the alcoves but I need to find a way to move my log burner forward into the room so it's not miles back in the fireplace.

I've struggled to find anyone to do this, I have one quote currently at £500. That may well be a fair price but I wondered if this is something that is possible to be done DIY? Does anyone have any experience of this? I suspect I need an elbow adding to the flue but I'm aware it may not be that simple and might require a qualified technician for safety aspects. Just looking to gather information if anyone has experience of this.

The photos below are of my current lounge, the external chimney breast, close up of the log burner and the kind of thing I'd like to achieve.

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.