violinfiend

Soundproofing woodburner flue?

Jess
last year

Recently moved into a property with a woodburner installed in the living room. The flue goes directly up through the ceiling, through the bedroom above it, then into the loft and out.

The issue is that there is no sound muffling between the downstairs and upstairs rooms. Someone can so much as sniff in the living room and it can be heard in the bedroom. Coversations can be easily had between these rooms. When you look down the grille in the bedroom (a metallic square in the floor surrounding the circular flue), you can see the light from the living room. It means having guests is difficult because if they go to bed before us, they can hear quite literally everything below them.

Most likely going to see if I can have someone in to take a look, but not sure what sort of person/trade to ask and would like to have an idea of what may be going on/how to fix it first. Or is this normal/unfixable and just must be lived with?

Thanks all!

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.