webuser_235939133

Help with house design for downstairs toilet and side extension

Mayu
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Hi,

We are planning to renovate our house and build an open plan kitchen diner by extending to the rear of the house. We also need to build a downstairs toilet.

We have a space of 1.9 m to the side of our house which is a passage from the front to the back of the house. We are in a dilemma to proceed with the side extension which can give rooms up to 1.5m width only and we will also lose our pass through from front to the rear of the house,

We do have some designs and are very confused how to proceed.

Existing plan:

Design 1:

This design has the downstairs toilet near the hallway passage ( though we will change the direction of the entry to the toilet from the one opening into kitchen to one opening on hallway). This will make the house open plan but there will be no passage between hallway and kitchen. I wanted to have a living room a bit isolated but in this design kitchen entry will always have to be from living room.

Design 1 modification:

Design 2:

The toilet is placed just next to the staircase below, which provides a passage from hallway to kitchen but the toilet door will open just opposite the dining area which I feel does not feel right. It will be close to the kitchen with no separation as the first design.

Design 3:

Moved toilet to the side extension, but there will not be enough light in the utility.

We are not sure should we proceed with side extension as the room will be too narrow 1.4 to 1.5 m in width. We will also lose the passage from front to rear as our garage is at the back of the house, making it difficult to get things from garage to the front(will be always through the inside of house)

Can you please provide with your suggestions?

a) position of toilet design 1 or design 2

b) Is it worth to build a side extension for utility and downstairs toilet

Comments (31)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.