os_1082

Layout / renovation advice (kitchen-diner)

os_1082
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice about a kitchen-diner knock-through and a potential side return extension in a late Victorian semi-detached house. I am bringing down the wall between the kitchen and the dining room and creating a peninsular, with patio doors leading out from the kitchen. My priorities are to bring light in to the dining room, add a downstairs WC (that is discrete/not directly off a room), have a decent utility space (for laundry and sports gear, cat stuff, etc), and have plenty of storage (food, crockery).

I have attached a couple of options and have included approximate measurements. One involves simply putting a WC under the stairs, taking some space from the existing dining room (otherwise it is exceptionally small). The other option involves building in to the side return to create a WC/utility room. Each option has various pros and cons. I do not have the funds to open up the entire back of the house to create a larger kitchen-diner. The soil stack is located in the side return. There is also a third option to turn the side return into a WC & shower room (it is a four bedroom house with one upstairs bathroom currently), which also has benefits.

I have been through so many versions of these layouts, trying to work out how I can maximise the space but I'm going round in circles! I would be open to any other suggestions. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.