ailsa_macpherson

Outside lights: how high is too high?

Ailsa Macpherson
5 months ago

We have just moved into our new house which is a bungalow. Our plan is to take it back to it's cottage style with some light cream render and old country-green door and away from it's current grey/sleek chic look, but some outside lights is one of the first tasks.

Our ideal plan would be to put the lights onto the stone but our electrician has said it will be very difficult to chase cables through (you're talking knocking internal walls down kind of difficult).

So.... the other option? Is to put them higher up on the render above the stone. And annoyingly, they'll have to go a good foot above the line because of the steel lintel.

I have included some examples. Would this look silly? Has anyone else done something similar? I'm finding it very hard to picture how any of the options would look.

If we did up and downlights my worry is that there would be too much light going upwards right by the soffits, and it would glare and look too bright.

I'm swaying towards just downlights at the moment rather than lanterns or up and downlights, but would love to hear your opinions! Literally anything at all, hit us with it :)

Thanks, A & A x

Downlights only
Up and downlights
Lanterns
Something else (please comment!)

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.