webuser_241487318

Mission Impossible?

Scott Green
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

Hello,

We are considering the purchase of a recently developed home - this was a conversion from a workshop to a 3 bedroom home in the Kent greenbelt AONB. it's beautiful, but falls short on storage space. I know from the estate agent speaking frankly that this is why its not selling.

I can tell planning was limited - the footprint, design and layout looks compromised, so I can only imagine planning to extend is nearly impossible. With this in mind, we're looking for some help to understand, worst-case, if a reconfiguration of the upstairs is possible, to achieve what we are looking for - more space for intelligent but practical storage and less of a living space compromise! Some helpful hints on our chances of extending would also be helpful towards our decision on the purchase.

Initially, my thoughts go towards asking a designer / planner, but keen to see if this audience has any guidance or thoughts.

Here is the plan:

I am hoping the first floor can be reconfigured as so:

1) The stairs in the reception room can be removed (this is not load bearing) and there is another stairway.

2) The 1st floor bathrooms can be amended (or one of them removed) as they both impede the bedroom storage.

3) The 1st floor study area, smallest bedroom and secondary bedroom could be changed somehow, given the removal of the reception room stairs, to ensure a nice space that is suitable for an expanding family. Having a child in an isolated room only accessible by going downstairs, then back up another set of stairs seems ridiculous and not very fire friendly. Poor design?

Other points to consider:

Ground floor already has a bathroom that the spare rooms can access

There is another stairway

We'd probably still need space for office work in the main building - the outbuilding will be used for a main office and gym

Generally, I can't see much of the ground floor needing work

Do your best and hopefully you kind folks can see possibilities that we currently can't visualise. Also, any recommendations for prosessionals to look at this and advise would be appreciated. We have owner and estate agent permission to take a planner round to survey.

Thanks in advance!

Scott & Cheryll

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.