webuser_319751365

How can I improve this layout?

Gareth Richards
3 months ago

I’ve been recommended to post on here so here goes…

I am trying to come up with a way of improving the layout of our house as there are some things that we are not so keen on.

We’d like to end up with a living room, dining kitchen, a utility room and a snug downstairs and we’d like 3 good size bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. We don't currently live in the house and are prepared to take on a full scale renovation if it makes the house perfect and more appealing to live in.

Main bug bears with the house are that the kitchen and dining room don’t get a lot of light, and upstairs the en-suite takes a big chunk out of an already small master bedroom and bedrooms three and four as quite small.

The original layout was that the 'study' and 'reception hall' were once the integral garage, with the only places to go from the front door being up the stairs or into the living room. The previous owners had converted the garage to a downstairs bedroom with en-suite but we had this opened up into what it is now, but the front door gets in the way. The front door used to swing the other way meaning we still really had to go into the living room so when we had a new door, we had it swing the way it does now so we could go straight into the hallway.

So...the lack of space inside the front door is frustrating. Would moving the staircase to a difference position give us a better layout overall or should we just move the front door to be in line with the front of the study?

In general, I just feel like the layout is rubbish and would love to do something with it, but don't really know where to start. I looked up a house we rented about 14 years ago and that house was about 1m narrower but had a much better layout.

Another thing we've considered is replacing the conservatory with a same sized extension and put the kitchen in there, but with costs what they are at present, I'm not sure that would be within our budget...one option would be two just replace the two end walls with full height brick walls and then put the kitchen against one of the new brick walls.

Any tips/thoughts/advice would be hugely appreciated.

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.