shannan_murphy40

Advice sought on ground floor remodelling

Shannan M
2 months ago

Hi all, we’re looking at a possible house to purchase which ticks all of our boxes in terms of location and number of bedrooms. But… the layout downstairs leaves a lot to be desired - small front rooms, kitchen stuck on at back and disconnected from the dining room which isn’t accessible from the hall, garage that could be used instead for living space.

We can see potential, but what I’m not sure is what would be feasible if the house has already been extended slightly? EG would we still ppl ppl be able to move walls around using RSJs or would there be
things we couldn’t do because of the existing layout? (EG the small porch extension at the back, location of existing kitchen walls etc).

I could imagine extending out the back to line up with the kitchen back wall; possibly moving the living room wall backwards into the dining room to make the front room bigger; and then having a kitchen / dining / living space across the back part of the house (using perhaps the rear half of the current dining room to house the kitchen and then dining room in new extension area and sitting area where kitchen is now, all open to each other); converting the garage to house a utility and toilet at the back and a snug at the front (though the garage floor is three steps down right now so would need to look at the flooring and ceiling height).

A lot of work, but would something like that be feasible?

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.