jackiewhyte37

Mould spores and door frames

jackiewhyte37
last month

We've just found blackish mould settled on the top of doors, and wood of horizontal stairs, radiators, and even skirting boards nearly all throughout our house.
It's been a creeping problem... I wasn't sure what was dust and what was mould for a while, but no mistaking it now.
We have a big old 30s house that we've been battling musty old smells in ever since we bought it a few years ago. We knew there was some mould in the basement and musty smells around and tried a few solutions over the years with some success. (Heater +ventilation in the basement to start, rebuilt attict area). We open windows religiously and I run a hepa filter as I've been nervous my kids have allergies immune stuff going on). Smells got better and I could not see anything. Experts checked external walls, all OK they said. No big black spots visible.
Smells remain somewhat despite constant aeration...its not a well ventilated house.
But a recent roof insulation coupled with winter and working from home, laundry, heat, i noticed the musty smells were bad again and now see the black stuff everywhere. Horrified. Am washing and will run dehumidifiers asap
But I think the mould dust is between every slat of all wooden floors throughout the whole house.
I'm wondering if I will ever solve this.
We had planned a renovation to sort the basement and back or house where we know there's issues but if it's systemic in the air everywhere, which I see it now on the top of every single door frame all throughout the house...then what's to do?
Gut the place? Sell?
Any advice? Thank you.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.