webuser_539803201

More natural light layout dilemma

Ian
last month
last modified: last month

Hi all,

First time posting here but hope you can help.

I trying to work out a solution allow more light into the back rooms downstairs with the back of the house being east and partly north facing. Its mainly getting more ligth into the kitchen that sits on the right at the back.

My main ideas as of now :

1. Are to place a south facing window over the hob in the kitchen to get direct sun into. I understand i need to change to electric induction from gas if i do this. Checked with council on this this.

2. There is space to put two sun tunnels in a small space above the kitchen on the same side as the new window. Its only a narrow space so the sun tunnels would be right up against the wall though unfortunately.

3. I also had an idea to push through into the utility room fully or partially and fit a skylight to get light into that side of the kitchen from afternoon onwards. This is built into what was the garage but is only single brick i think with a drop floor. Talking to the builder he said he could raise it but we would need to raise the roof too. Worried about planning here and that i might have to just knock it down and start again from scratch which i don't want to do.

Both the downstairs bathroom and utility are quite big to be honest, maybe too big.

4. I know a similar house just knocked through into their dining room from the kitchen to grab more light. Our middle room gets loads of light through the day but doesn't help the kitchen. Knocking this through would solve a lot of natural light issues but of course we'd loose the downstairs study/bedroom.

5. We have also thought of just adding some glass blocks or internal glazing to the middle room to create light but allow us to revert it back if we come to sell.

I keep going around in circles to be honest and would love to hear what ideas anybody may have. Thank you in advance!

I'll just add that on the right next door we have only a small 1m or so space to the fence. This has there converted single storey garage on the other side so light does light the whole side of our house most of the day.

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.