shannan_murphy40

Staging / feasibility of knock through and extension

Shannan M
last month

Hi all, have been trawling through past discussions for views on a question we are currently grappling with. Looking at a possible house purchase, amazing location, orientation and natural light. But 1930s Met house that has not been modernised, kitchen just a job and sink, etc etc. Everyone keeps saying it would be a big project if we bought it, and we get that but probably can’t quite envisage how big!

There is some work that we’d want to do ASAP: the whole house needs rewiring; the kitchen is barely functionable (and we are a family of four). In the long term it would be amazing to do a half single/half double story extension out the back and get an extra bedroom that way. But I don’t think we could afford that to begin with (total budget for all works now £100k). But I also don’t think it would be workable to live in the house for a couple years and save more for the extension, for the reasons set out above.

The ideal immediate things would be: straighten out dog leg at kitchen wall (which I think means removal of a chimney breast) to make that space square; rewire; knock down wall between back room and kitchen and install some kind of new kitchen (which ideally would be swapped to the other side, where the sitting room is now, as there’s more space on that side); finish conversion of garage into small study that extended into the big downstairs bathroom behind it, while still keeping a downstairs loo in the back part of that space, and if we could also fitting the washing machine and dryer in there). The who house needs new floors but at least I think you would have to do in new knocked through back room. And put in some new windows and French doors at the back for more light and as current ones quite old.I think the house will need a new boiler too.

My questions are: would it be feasible to do work like this without wasting too much money if in a few years’ time we could build an extension; and is this amount of work feasible with our budget; and how long might it all take.

Pics to follow. Obviously a bit hard to get concrete advice as we don’t own the house and only have the info to hand from agent. Trying to work out if want to make an offer.

Thank you for your help!

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.