livie93

Making structural changes to office outbuilding

Livie
last month

Hello!

We have an outbuilding in our garden which was put in by the previous owners. It's pretty big; maybe 6m x 3m or so and it has electricity and internet. So the hope was to use it as an office but they've designed it in a pretty rubbish way which makes it feel dark and not well connected to the garden. Tiny windows and a tiny door! It's a fairly cheap construction I would think, made using cladding with cedral click cement fibre board (I think...). Anyway, I want to have it altered essentially to make it a nicer space. Perhaps remove a wall and add in some sliding doors, or just add in much longer windows, or a huge window at the back which looks onto the field. Or change the roof so it has Velux windows in it?! I'm not really sure...they also never quite finished it when we moved in, so it also needs a proper flooring, skirting boards and gutters.

So I am stuck as to who I hire for this sort of work. We aren't doing a complete re-build and given this is not our "forever" home we don't want to spend a load of money on it, I just want to improve it so we actually use this space. I worry an architect might be a bit overkill and I expect garden building companies won't do this sort of work. Any thoughts much appreciated :)

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.