houzzerpolls

How would you update your kitchen?

Houzz Polls
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
If you don't have the time or money, what small updates would you make to your kitchen to freshen it up?

Vote for your choice below! To win a pair of Houzz slippers, post a comment telling us about your next kitchen project, (photos welcomed too) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing.

Watch the video to see what the slippers looks like!

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 2/9/2014. One winner will be drawn at random.

Comments (317)

• lemonsla2010
    10 years ago
    My kitchen is still in the 70's We need new cabinets floor and walls it has the big square tiles all over it......
  • qyqy11
    10 years ago
    I would love love love new countertops.
  • Related Discussions

What would you most like to change about your kitchen?

Q

Comments (25)
    The lack of bench space, and I'm not sure which category of the poll that fits into. Layout maybe, since we'll need to move things around to make it work. Our kitchen is enormous, but it's all storage - one whole wall is floor to ceiling pantry-style cabinets. On the other all the stovetop and the sink take up a full half of the bench top, so there is just enough room for one chopping board and bowl on what's left when you are cooking. The crazy thing is, it's not even a tiny galley kitchen, but the space in between the two walls is only just big enough to squeeze an island in, so we are trying to decide between being cramped, or knocking down walls and completely remodelling. Can't quite bring ourselves to pull the trigger on the latter, though, as all the cabinets and cupboard are in great shape.
    ...See More

Concealed lighting in the Kitchen: where would you put yours?

Q

Comments (1)
    I would go for underneath the cupboards as it is a functional option too. If you have cupboards like these and standard track lighting or similar in your kitchen (as I do), you invariably end up casting a shadow on your food when you prepare it and these would counteract that. When I finally get around to redoing my kitchen, this would be the plan I think!
    ...See More

Which uncommon colour would you incorporate into your kitchen?

Q

Comments (1)
    Really like Red and Orange!
    ...See More

How would you update the outside of this house?

Q

Comments (6)
    I agree with Jonathan, I really like this kind of architecture. Like Jonathan I don't like the brown windows and the garage doors would look nicer if not brown. For my personal taste I would probably look to get rid of the conifer type trees and go for something more attractive like an acer or two. You could def make more of the garden area at the front and this would lift the overall look. But overall really nice looking house! Good luck with whatever you decide.
    ...See More
  • B J
    10 years ago
    MY CABINETS AND THE TOPS NEED NEW LIFE, I GET DEPRESSED EVER TIME I GO IN IT! SO THEY ARE FIRST TO START ON THEN NEW FLOORING.
  • Becky Kelly
    10 years ago
    I would change the floors to ceramic tile and re paint the walls and window casings.
  • fybarra
    10 years ago
    I am preparing to start remodeling our kitchen. But after getting the contractor quote, we decided to take a less drastic approach. Instead of replacing the cabinets, I'm going to do the simple repairs that a few of the doors and boxes need. I'm going to build in pullout shelves in all the bases. Replace all the drawer slides, since most don't work well. I'm still deciding on whether to spend the money on granite or go with higher end laminate. Yes to the new backsplash and new faucet. As well as a new sink and better under cabinet lighting. The ceramic tile floor is fine, but the grout looks yucky. So I'm going to remove the top layer of grout and put in the new layer of epoxy grout. And lastly, new appliances!
  • zphe
    10 years ago
    Change the floors to....something (not sure). Definitely bash a hole or remove the separating wall altogether between the kitchen and familyroom. And then, the complete kitchen re-do is in full swing. It's a pie in the sky dream, really.
  • sassyshirl
    10 years ago
    Our home is 10 years old and already needs updating! The kitchen Island would look great in an accent color (like black) unlike the remaining cabinets. New counter tops, probably a light colored granite, new sink and definitely a new faucet. We have gas energy, but not at the cooking range which would be an absolute upgrade to switch out. New refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave. Also, the original vinyl is wearing and separating at the seams, so new flooring as well. I've seen beautiful lighting fixtures and would love to see them in my kitchen. We have a bay window in the dining area which would be fun to add a more comfy seating arrangement, maybe a built in window seat or custom couch seating? Has to be cozy!
    The built in desk, so popular in the late 90's and 2000's is always a mess, could that be changed somehow? Maybe a built in secretary or glass front display cabinet. Seems like a lot but actually it comes down to floors, counter tops, appliances, lighting fixtures, that's all!
  • lindalutes
    10 years ago
    My kitchen is 33 years old and I want to completely take the old one out and make over a totally different kitchen.
  • gardenergal24
    10 years ago
    Our first step will be to replace the dated red and green paint and wallpaper (that were here when we moved in) with fresh paint. One wall will be SW Vesper Violet, one small hall wall in Mesmerize, and the remaining walls & vaulted ceiling in SW Snowbound. Later hopefully will come upgrades in floor, countertops, backsplash and cabinets.
  • C Clark
    10 years ago
    I am DIY updating my kitchen right now. I am painting the lower cabinets white, installing butcher block countertops, farm house sink, and removing the top cabinets to install shelving
  • PRO
    SuisseSwiss
    10 years ago
    I would also work on changing and betterment of lightening. Ceiling, above counter top and also hidden lightening under hanged cabinets.
  • patmcgrane
    10 years ago
    I would like to change cupboard tops to granite but not sure what colours you can get
  • amonia
    10 years ago
    Countertops could use an update. (1970's Orange) But so could my cupboards!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would remove the 2 track lighting strips and replace with recessed lights and pendants.
  • blrussell
    10 years ago
    Really need new countertops.
  • nanoconnor
    10 years ago
    The previous owners installed beautiful granite but left the 70's style backsplash. I would love to install a subway tile backsplash to give my kitchen the facelift it really needs and bring my kitchen up to date.
  • PRO
    Wood Stone Home
    10 years ago
    It takes a bit of work, but repainting the Cabinets is one of the most cost effective ways to completely transform the look and feel of a tired kitchen.
  • Dreacorator
    10 years ago
    I am chomping at the bit, waiting with baited breath to SLEDGEHAMMER the entire thing. The only thing I am hesitant about is if there is asbestos tile underneath the three layers of vinyl!!! We were going to do temp fixes, but for the aggravation, let's be honest - sometimes its not worth putting lipstick on a pig. Patience, and a sledgehammer ...
  • geo55
    10 years ago
    I need my dated short cabinets to go to the ceiling. Hate that empty space up there!
  • kathleen MK
    10 years ago
    A plumbing leak gave us new flooring an professionals removing the two layers of wall paper. But when they added the raised bar between the sink and breakfast nook, they left the wainscot short with painted Sheetrock on top. I'd replace it with beadboard and raise it to 2/3 height around the breakfast area. I'd replace the countertops with quartz and paint the cabinets creamy white to match beadboard. I'd add copper hardware to match my copper switch plates and accessories. The backsplash would be beadboard with copper or mosaic tile behind the cooktop. I'd replace the the misplaced recessed light with a pendant light over the sink.
    Realistically I might have energy and money enough to add beadboard and a pendant light. changing the cabinets and counters would be beyond my current resources.
  • Ken Price
    10 years ago
    We are purchasing an English Tudor style home and plan to completely replace the kitchen with a modern yet traditional kitchen with walnut cabinetry. We are working with a space planner now to come up with a functional design but rely on Houzz to give us cool ideas. Our latest tangent is a built in Thermador coffee maker.
  • carlacogdell
    10 years ago
    I would love to take out the small wall between my kitchen and dining room and add new counter tops to make me tiny kitchen look bigger. I think I need everything.
  • kimsfloor1
    10 years ago
    Ugh, in this house I would paint the cabinites, replace the counter top and add a small island of some sort.
  • designgene
    10 years ago
    Originally this kitchen had natural wood cedar-colored cabinets. About ten years before we gutted it last year, we painted those cabinets white, bought new pulls and handles, and installed a big statement iron chandelier. Painting the cabinets and window frame made all the difference!
  • dreamfruition
    10 years ago
    Cut a "pass through " between tiny kitchen and dining room to open it up some
  • cabingirl13
    10 years ago
    Small and quick updates....new countertops- tearing down walls, painting cabinets etc...do not count as quick or small in my book.
  • granmajb
    10 years ago
    patmcgrane----I don't know where you live but if it is at all possible, go to a place which specializes in granite slabs---the larger the outlet, the more choices. Granite comes in every color imaginable from plain white to bright orange, solid black and everything in between. It is absolutely mind-boggleing to wander through the rows and rows of granite slabs. If an actual visit is not practical, go on-line and type in "Granite Slabs"---even meandering through the selection on-line is fascinating. Write down the colors that you like, print out a picture if you can, then go to a smaller retailer and see what they can show you. Unfortunately most retailers, including Lowes and Home Depot give you a 4" square to look at and that is ridiculous, you simply cannot tell anything at all with a piece that small. After you select the color you want from any painters color wheel, check into what is available in that color range. The slab you select may be speckled, wavy, spotted or a combination. Then you are able to select the area that you want for your countertop and a template is made from your existing counters. That template is then placed on the slab, showing you exactly what pattern will become your new countertops and if you have a good installer, he will match the grain at the corners to your specification. It is so much fun, don't be afraid to go and look because the sales people generally leave you alone unless you ask for help and no one expects you to make any kind of committment until you are ready. Happy Hunting!!
  • x123
    10 years ago
    LIGHTING. A kitchen needs lots of light! Ceiling, under cabinet, accent lighting, in cabinetry, maybe even under the cabinets at the toe kicks! What about twinkle lighting in a concrete countertop???
  • Madeline Small
    10 years ago
    To update the kitchen without spending a fortune, I'd probably replace the red formica counters, although I'd keep the color in the red family; I'd also replace the wallpaper on the backsplash with a white, semi- or high-gloss, backsplash in a brick-like, horizontal pattern.
  • User
    10 years ago
    My next kitchen project is lighting: adding LED under-cabinet dimmable lights and pendant lights over the sink
  • bigredkate
    10 years ago
    I added a floating island (on wheels) to our kitchen. It made a huge difference to bench space and storage.
  • brennanpam
    10 years ago
    I would refinish my wooden floors that are two labradors dogs have put a comfy worn look into
  • cathyisadoll
    10 years ago
    Choose me. I love the green painted cabinets. Changes the kitchen a lot.
  • withoutme
    10 years ago
    My kitchen countertops are two-tiered with ugly white tile that is chipping. It's been there since 1984 and we moved in in 2011. I'd love to make the countertop all one level and use granite instead of tile.
  • Sdhauck
    10 years ago
    Enclose the deck off the kitchen making a large sunroom/dinning area.
  • Cristina Yu
    10 years ago
    Floating island. Or not floating. An island would give me more workspace and storage. I gotta save up and get one.
  • Denise Rangel
    10 years ago
    I really need a new range for my 100 year old cottage. I would love to be able to set an oven temperature and use my burners.
  • withoutme
    10 years ago
    Your stove looks like mine, except mine is a cook top stove. I want to get rid of mine and get the Thermador cook top with the downdraft vent. You push a button and the vent pops up. Here is a picture of the cook top I have now and the one that I dream of.
  • Kubota Raffensperger
    10 years ago
    Redoing a backslash can be quick and can even be done seasonally. Cut Lucite to fit that will be attached with screws. Use wrapping paper cut to size and attached to the same size board behind it. Fasten both to the wall and caulk around. It can be easily changed when you tire of it.
  • happyleg
    10 years ago
    The backsplash.
  • sjsmith14094
    10 years ago
    Countertops....I'd love to get rid of the ugly plastic laminate!
  • Alyssa Silva
    10 years ago
    New lighting!
  • karennana
    10 years ago
    Ten day low-cost redo. The question begins with no time and no money. Then do nothing! However with a small amount of time, done in stages in ten days and very little money you can: Day 1: Clean everything, including windows, cabinets, appliances, light fixtures, inside and out. Day 2: Clean and set aside on a cart and/or in a box, every item that currently is out in the open, including anything on the walls. Day 3: Put back on counters only what you absolutely must, and see if a different location will work for the essentials. Day 4: See which small appliances might find a home in your newly cleaned-out cabinets. Now review all fresh, clean decorative items and see if any would work in a different room, pack away the rest for storage, a yard sale, or charity. Day 5: Shop your own house for different pictures, items, decor, to refresh your kitchen and clean those before using. This will get you started refreshing your other rooms too! (Mom's or Granny's attic might be another place to check!) Day 6: Look at your linens and in your closet for new window curtain possibilities. Or check out Mom's or Granny's stash! Old pillow cases or tea towels or pretty scarves might make pretty new no-sew curtains. That set of cloth napkins you rarely use can make pretty banner-like valences, just fold in half corner to corner, and create a pocket for your rod with rust-proof straight pins, iron-on hem tape or baste-stitch. Unused straight narrow window panels 63 or 84 long can be rehung with clip rings for kitchen windows if the pattern works horizontally: cut to size and glue edges with iron-on hem tape. Try out those unused sheers for a light spring look! A full summery skirt you won't wear again might also work! (A hint for oak cabinets: add a pop of color using blue fabric: it is opposite on the color-wheel to the oranges in oak) Day 7: Remove metal handles, clean thoroughly, and use Rub n Buff following simple directions to easily change your metal color. One tube goes a long way. While these are drying/curing, carefully tape off the cabinets around any visible cabinet door hinges and do those to match. This product has a wax-base, so it doesn't make the hinges stick and doesn't pop off. Clean off any smears on the cabinet with ammonia before it dries. Replace your "new" cabinet knobs. Day 8: Make that floor squeaky clean Day 9: Clean, restyle or replace your kitchen rugs Washed but faded rugs might be refreshed/restyled with fabric paint from a craft store, or dye from the supermarket. You might have (or Granny or Mom might have) a new/old washable rug stashed away that's perfect. Day 10: Add a plant or flowers, and enjoy your refreshed, low-cost, recycled redo!
  • karennana
    10 years ago
    The Rub n Buff works on metal parts of light fixtures and metal switch-plates too. Don't try it on faucets or sinks, though: too much hot water and scrubbing on those! Keep your tube for occasional touch ups. Available at craft stores.
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    10 years ago
    CONGRATULATIONS to @jmgoddard66 for winning a pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this one, you still have a chance in our Storage poll!
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/poll-unconventional-storage-dsvw-vd~836559
  • Samantha E
    10 years ago
    I'd change the sink because our sink isn't what we thought it would be.
  • jlalden
    10 years ago
    U would like to paint my cabinets to brighten the kitchen.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    I need under cabnet lights. Unlimited would be new cupboards & cabnets. And flooring, appliances. Now the under lights are next.
  • PRO
    FurreverYours
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The irony that kitchens are one of my favorite rooms is not lost on me given that I don't cook (but I do love to eat!). The kitchen is truly the heart of the home so any improvement whether big or small adds to the warmth of every home. #BeSeenBeSafe
  • tomorrowroad
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    My house is over 100 years old. It probably started as a farmhouse, and the city grew up around it. But I could accurately call my kitchen a modest country kitchen; not too big, not too small. I have plenty of counter space, but you have to really be conscientious to get the best use out of the spaces. Another consideration is that I have radiator heat, as in ‘big old cast iron radiators’ that are not easily moved. That rules out a lazy Susan in the only corner where I could put one. I’ve pulled up the old vinyl flooring and put in ceramic tiles, but don’t like them. They are too big and too slick, so I am going to pull those up too, and replace them with something more practical. I like the kitchen cabinets, although I think they are contractor grade (they have plastic drawers). They are in otherwise good shape; I would like to get them re-faced, and upgrade the hardware. Another problem that needs solving is that due to the age of the house, there are several layers to the walls—plaster and lathe first, then mid Century 3X3 tiles on top of that, and finally drywall over all of it. That presents a problem because different walls have varying thicknesses, and the opening for the refrigerator, for instance, is one inch too narrow for a standard refrigerator. Last summer we put a stress fracture in the backsplash on a short section of the Formica counter top when we were moving the new stove in. Oh, yes, the Formica counter tops. Lovely. Let’s just say I got a call from the 70’s yesterday and they want their countertops back…and I’m okay with that.
    So ideally I’d like to gut it from one end of the floor to the other. Pull up the tiles and cabinets, and maybe pull a couple of layers off the walls. Then re-do the floor with some more appropriate tiles, put the cabinets back in and have them re-faced. Install sustainable stone or quartz counter tops, an under mount sink, paint and call it a day.
    And maybe the day after that I could start on the garage…
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.