Advise on a newly built home please

Chris Osullivan
25 March, 2019
Good morning all,

I have just moved in to our new family home and am looking for some advice on the best way to make the most of our ground floor space.

This is a first for us so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

We would like a kitchen diner across the back of of our house. We don't have a large garden so could we just knock through and build a wall to separate the through lounge?

As the back of the house isn't flush would it be worth it/ cost effective to bring it flush so we could have bi folds?

With the wall that may separate the lounge, should we put double doors in or cut off the lounge completely meaning we would enter the lounge via a single door from the hallway?

Lastly are there any reasonable ways of having multiple drawings done before we decide without paying a lot of money as we are on a budget.

As I said I would really appreciate any advise however small.


Comments (9)

  • PRO
    Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

    Hi Chris, being cost effective depends entirely on your budget. If you want to go flush then you'll need two lots of steel work instead of one. Both walls are external and load bearing.

    I'd approach a Concept planner who would be happy to give you different ideas and the associated drawings. Karen at OnePlan on here comes very highly recommended.

    Just a couple of other things to consider. Do you have front to back access? If not, then you may like to incorporate this in a new plan by re-jigging the internals and utility / garage area, plus i would advise adding a downstairs toilet too.

    I'd personally be wary of doors right the way across the back, the kitchen is quite small and I don't think you'd have enough internal wall space left for a good kitchen layout.

  • Chris Osullivan

    Thanks very much for the comments they are much appreciated.
  • rinq

    Your question says newlybuilt home. My guess it is an existing older home, no?

    I bet the kitchen-dining-wall is loadbearing. Every size opening in that has it's own price tag.

  • Chris Osullivan
    Yep, first time on here to be honest and I didn't write newly built home so maybe I ticked something.
    Yes the wall is load bearing but I I'm thinking it's possible to remove?
  • rinq

    Having bought a fresh new home brings up a gazillion new ideas of make-overs and expansion. That's perfectly natural ;)

    But if you didn't win the lottery and the house is in good shape, get to know it first, live in it. Then decide what needs to be done.

    One of the first things we did when we bought our 1950 home, was gut it (we both have a technical background), before we moved in. We knew immediately the kitchen had to be opened up and the opening in the wall between living and dining had to be larger. So we did, steel beam and all.

    Your idea of an open kitchen: No need to remove all of the wall (plus that's really expensive!), your kitchen layout would not benefit from it. Built-in fridge and ovens in the kitchen, extra space for coffee machine. I've added a downstairs loo and an extra door to the livingroom. Cellar (?) and utility still accessible via kitchen. Kept the victorian layout, yet opened up a little.

    Leave the backdoor be and don't close up the livingroom (I bet it was opened up, because this period homes mostly had sliding doors between their front- and backrooms. The small wall most likely is loadbearing too.) Don't extend, since I guess the costs will be much higher than the added value, plus it'll cost you your already small garden. You have a lovely floorplan already!

  • Kim
    Chris - check out Housology- Eva will come spend a few hours at your home and leave you with sketch plans that you can use to improve your layout.
  • Chris Osullivan
    Thanks again all some really good ideas I hadn't thought of. Appreciate you taking the time to show me your thoughts by rejigging the floor plans.
  • Chris Osullivan
    Kim would you have a direct number for Eva?
  • PRO
    Design Work Studios

    Hi Chris,

    If this is a newly built home and are you planning to do some external works i.e extending then you should check the deeds for the house that you would have received from the solicitor.

    On some new builds there can be conditions that state you will need permission from the developer and the council to extend/alter. It's certainly worth a look and even if there is a condition it doesn't necessarily mean you can't do what you want to do.


Need help with a Houzz order? Call us on 0808 164 9310 (8am - 5pm GMT excluding weekends)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.