joelizabeth

How to light asymmetrical cathedral ceiling?

joelizabeth
8 years ago

We have been working on renovating our family room (see before and after shots)- still some painting and new curtains to go (when I can afford them!). It currently has several spotlights along or between the beams, and a fan on the off centre main beam. The ceiling is a horrible thin papery layer over insulation, and has holes in it and scorch marks from the current lights. It can't be repaired, so we are going to have the ceiling battened as close to the roof as possible and lay new plasterboard between the beams, leaving as much of the beams exposed as possible. My problem is what to do about new lights. There will not be much inside ceiling space, maybe not enough to allow space for dimmable LED down lights. The fan is useful to circulate heat from the fireplace, although we would prefer a nicer looking one if we decide to have a fan. I would love pendant/s, but can't work out where to fit them so that they don't move in the breeze of the fan, or cause flickering light when the fan is spinning. The main beam being off centre also throws me.

The room is about 6 metres wide and 6 metres long. Any ideas much appreciated!

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.