bumperboat

How would you renovate this old mill?

bumperboat
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have an old stone mill in rural France ...it sits deep in a valley that only gets sun in summer and it comes with 10 hectares of woodland, a river and several waterfalls and rocky cliffs...it dates from 1770 with a Roman bridge and at the moment has no electricity, mains water or sanitation systems... Any ideas on interior style to what plants you would use to landscape the river banks and garden would be welcome ...

Comments (23)

• minnie101
    8 years ago
    Wow, love it! I saw one very similar a year or so ago and was very tempted! I love the river bank as it is. I think I would just have some form of natural platform on the far Boulder for dipping your toes in the summer. Do you have interior pics and ones of the garden? Very predictable but would go french country for the interior but with warmer wall colours to compensate for lack of light. Are there are interior features that can be utilised?
  • PRO
    William Holland Ltd
    8 years ago
    What an amazing project! Agree that traditional french country with a modern twist/gentle colour palette would be stunning, maintaining as many stand out traditional features as possible. Best of luck.
  • Related Discussions

Which piece of renovation advice would you NOT pass on?

Q

Comments (13)
    Probably the 'worst' advice, we had, was when renovating a house in Provence. Fitting everything into the high-ceiling bathroom including a shower area, meant we were persuaded to build in a bath across our nice window with shutters. (.."There may be someone who wants a bath"...). It was therefore never as easy to just walk up to the (wisteria-fringed) window and look out. In 10 years, we never (once) used the bath, far preferring the really nice walk in shower, as did all our guests. (The bath turned out to be a dust and spider catcher and was a (back) pain to clean). Lesson learned. Having renovated several properties and apartments since, we have simply removed baths and concentrated on installing lovely to walk in, spacious and safe showers with decent water pressure. We have never regretted putting in under-floor heating.
    ...See More

How easy do you find it to be ethical when renovating?

Q

Comments (1)
    Making ethical choices occurs to me regularly as I focus on longer term consequences of our actions. It seems that the world of interior design as a whole is somewhat disconnected to the rise of ethically minded consumers, however individual businesses within the field have caught on and are providing ethical products that we use in our homes.
    ...See More

how would you renovate this home?

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Courtney, once you have decided on a layout, we can provide you with a budget cost estimate. The budget cost provides a detailed breakdown of works and expenses as well as highlighting potential areas where you can save money. If this is something of interest please send the plans and photos to hello@nestestimating.co.uk and we can provide you with a quote
    ...See More

New House Renovation - What Would You Do?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello Alex, I would recommend this book to you, it packed with ideas of how to improve your home and make it your own. It's written by an architect, with 12 case studies... https://www.keithjamesclarke.com
    ...See More
  • bumperboat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the comments...yes I agree with going traditional with a bit of modern...and light colours ...the mill is basically four big rooms with no hallway or corridor and windows on both sides...but a lot of stone..well every wall is stone...so thinking of maybe plastering some internal walls to reflect some light and keep only feature walls stone...
    The stutters is another thing we are not sure about...keep it oak or paint it ?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far..it helps to stay motivated
    Mark

Ps .. There is no garden yet it is bramble and nettle shoulder high...the entire bank and the old leet is filled with mud..
  • PRO
    Hartley and Rose
    8 years ago
    Wow what a fantastic property! We would go traditional with rustic elements, light greys/mushroom and warm it up with textiles in autumn colours.. Add modern lighting with traditional feel and keep it simple so that the building shows its fabulous construction.
  • minnie101
    8 years ago
    Will you be dividing any of the rooms or keeping them as they are? What is the flooring in the lounge? It is a shame to lose them but I think plastering some of the walls would help with light, comfort and insulation etc. I would maybe try and do it so as to preserve the stone (without major hassle of stripping plaster in the future I mean!). I love painted shutters! If it were mine I may well paint them but on the other hand the house sits so well in its natural environment then maybe not. If you did maybe consider a colour that reflects the surroundings. Do you have a pic of the "garden"? It will be hard work but the end result will be stunning. You can also pick up some fantastic 2nd hand furniture at a fraction of the price compared to the UK!
  • ashleyizz
    8 years ago
    There was a mill on the show 'restoration man' . I think it was in Newcastle but if you could watch the show it might give you some ideas?
    They used parts of the old mill machinery as art and boxed in with glass ( I think partly due to its grade II listing)
    Best of luck
  • Tim Price
    8 years ago
    Wow, a dream project. Wish it was mine. The options are almost limitless.
    With old mills you really do need to check for damp, likely flood levels and also whether years of being used as a mill has caused sustained vibrations that may render walls weakened.
    please, more photos before, plenty during and a good selection after. I am sure I speak on behalf of all readers in requesting this.
  • bagpuss2
    8 years ago
    Look at pictures of Bill and Lois Breckon's Watermill at Posara. Amazing place and renovated with great wit and character
  • milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    Ooh la la ! Quel endroit merveilleux!!
    Je suis sans voix en Français ou en Anglais.
    Bonne chance avec votre travail.
  • Alison Heppell
    8 years ago
    I think I would like to cut some of the close big trees down to let some winter sunshine in ,try periwinkle on the bank when it's cleared it roams all over ,the more light you let in the more chance you have of getting things to survive ,you are a bit limited when it's dark
  • Sam Hill
    8 years ago
    Bring it back to its former glory, however humble that might have been. I'd use lime plaster on the walls so that they can breathe, and then use a suitable light coloured paint to make sure its not too dark. Outside, I'd clear room for a few paths, keep those mown, but leave the rest to grow freely, keeping it like a meadow, about knee-height of grass. If it's brambles, remove it and seed it. Perhaps a little garden beside each waterfall would be attractive.
  • puddinghouse
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    I agree with Sam Hill. Lime plaster breathes and you won't get any damp patches or bubbling up as you would with regular paint. I like the shutters natural. Once you paint them you will have to repaint them regularly. The oak will probably weather very nicely without paint and add to the ancient feel of your wonderful old mill.

As for plantings, the ferns seem quite happy. Why not plant more? Hosta would also be very nice. Some have purple flowers if you'd like a bit of color. Hellebores would love it there and they bloom early in the season. I like the idea of no lawn, but mowing little paths. You could build an area for outdoor seating or maybe you already have one. If you can hang on to the 'Sleeping Beauty' qualities the mill possesses, you will be fortunate indeed. Atmosphere is fragile. Once lost, it is nearly impossible to regain.

Old mills can be so magical. I love the Roman bridge. You really found a remarkable property. I wish you the best!
  • soozmacrae
    8 years ago
    Beautiful. What a find! I would go for French country style using lots of whites, leaving lots of exposed stone work.
  • turquoisetree53
    8 years ago

In reality, as a holiday home, after the first few years, you probably won't spend much time there in the bleak winter - so don't fall into the trap of spending a fortune on central heating systems, or making it too flash and with modern conveniences, that are just a target for burglars. Keep it flexible. Look at how the French 'keep' their rural holiday homes. Run-down, so you kind of 'camp' out in the summer. A refreshing change in itself.

• turquoisetree53
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It is going to be a really lovely place, to play in and improve. But once again, learning from the 'locals' and their attitude to their holiday homes. Any increase in sales value, will more or less all be taken by the French state(tax 2nd home), incl notaire, and estate agent; so what you spend on the property is in truth the real cost of, and all about your annual holiday enjoyment, and the holiday home you leave to your kids.

• PRO
    KIN
    8 years ago

Hi,

Wow, what a stunning site. And to have such a small but well maintained Roman bridge is a beautiful feature.

The first decision really is what your priorities are, as that will guide how much you spend, how you style it, etc. eg:

- What do you want to use it for? A retreat for yourself? A rented holiday cottage? An office? Your primary residence?

- Is your priority doing quickly, making it really beautiful, making is really sustainable, or doing it cheaply?

- What is you timeline?

- What is your budget?

Given the lack of utilities you could, for example, opt to make the whole site completely off-grid, with high performance insulation and windows, renewable energy, rain water collection, etc.

I would suggest a light touch to the landscaping, using a few carefully selected native plantings and re-surfacing interventions to really bring out the character of the site without harming the already stunning appearance. This will also save yo money and be more eco... win win.

I'd be happy to discuss the project further if you are interested.

• puddinghouse
    8 years ago

Excellent advice!

• PRO
    Primrose
    8 years ago

For plants - you could have some beautiful Japanese Maples, Herbs and Vegetables, Exotic Palms, some complimentary Hedging, Fruit Trees, Exotic Bamboo, Roses, Ornamental Treesor even Bay Trees!

Or possibly awnings, garden furniture, water features and heaters for some quality outdoor living :)

• ajnz833
    8 years ago
    Hydrangea bush: limelight, strawberry, Annabelle. Smoke trees all three varieties, pink, salmon, purple. Lots of daisies, Bee Balm, Lambs Ear, purple Iris.
  • ajnz833
    8 years ago
    ...and Hidcote Lavender and Russian Sage
  • PRO
    Tissino
    8 years ago

Just like to say what an amazing place you have got there with great potential. Wood effect porcelain tiles could fit in nicely here with the option of a standard finish for indoors or grip finish for outdoors. Towel rails can be converted to electric only rails meaning they can switched on when needed without need to install pipes.

• PRO
    JML Garden Rooms
    8 years ago

We bought an old Mill house 4 years ago and are still decorating and renovating. I think we always will, but absolutely no regrets! I love it! I will confess that I have made a few mistakes, which we are now fixing, as we now know what we would like and what suits the building.

I completely agree with the comments on lime plaster. All of the rooms are light but soft colours and I have fallen in love with Crown and Rose Authentic Chalk paint. We have dogs and I love the way that I can clean off any small tail wag splatters and the paint looks brand new afterwards.

We have lots of beams and stone, so have decided to go for a rustic but comfy look, but with a few rather French looking items, like a big French dresser in the dining room. Light walls in soft whites and creams, which don't clash too much with the different stone and woods types.

I have tried other colours, but it just doesn`t really look right and ended up going back to the neutrals. These houses have low ceilings and small windows, so keeping light was an important issue for us. The colours come from the cushions, throws and soft furnishings in sage greens and warm purples. The dining room, looks stark but rustic and interesting. Currently would like to find a large rustic wood or antler chandelier for above the table. Floors downstairs are currently old school quarry tiles in half and wooden floors in the nest, with a cheeky bit of rhino vinyl floor in the main hall. The quarry tiles are original, but long term, I would love to rip up the wood/vinyl and add in flagged floors, so been bothering our suppliers about how well under floor heating may work with flag stones... :) Upstairs is thick underlay, as when they built houses in that day, they didn`t really worry about sound travel, then carpeted.

Best move I have ever made!!! Even when things go wrong, I don`t really care, as I am renovating for the love of it this time, not for money! Exciting times!!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.