lizzie_hudson41

Chalet bungalow layout & kitchen dilemma

Lizzie Hudson
last month
last modified: last month

Hi there,

Can anyone kindly give any advice on improving the layout of this 1950s chalet bungalow. We'd like to open up the downstairs to create an open-plan living, kitchen, dining room. We are happy to lose the downstairs bathroom.

Upstairs, we want to create three bedrooms, a family bathroom and ensuite (and walk-in wardrobe) by adding a dormer across the back, and making better use of eaves space at the front.

We may turn/alter the stairs. The stairs currently run back to front with a small turning landing in a dormer at the front.

I'm struggling with the design of the kitchen or where to put it. If we keep it where it is, it is essentially 3m x 3m. There is a large pantry cupboard, that I'd like to keep. My hope was to create a "narnia" pantry, using tall unit cupboard doors to conceal the entry. We'll possibly use the large hallway cupboard as a utility. It is wide enough to fit a washing machine and dryer, plus storage.

We'll then possibly use the "dining" room as a snug/cosy lounge and the downstairs bedroom becomes an office-cum-bedroom. We could pinch some space for a downstairs loo/shower room. We might have to keep a shower room downstairs if we can't fit a second bathroom upstairs.

We could leave the existing living room alone, just knocking kitchen into bathroom. And use the existing dining room for dining as intended.

I don't feel a 3m x 3m kitchen is functional? It's too small for an island, but too wide for a galley, so you end up with a dance floor! I am struggling with how to make it all fit in. We have to lose the kitchen window on the side, too, in order to use the space for a hob. We're also happy to ditch the kitchen backdoor. We'd really like to have some dining space connected to the kitchen, even if it's just a breakfast bar. It gets the morning sun.

Any input on this layout would be greatly appreciated. We don't want an extension as want to use the existing footprint of the house. At this point, I am essentially designing the whole house around the kitchen!

We have £100k.

Thank you.

Comments (19)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.