pholligan

Garden design - Long, thin plot.

Paul Holligan
12 years ago
Hi All,

I'm getting to the final stages of a house renovation and am starting to think about the garden and patio etc. The problem I have is it is a long thin garden, a complete blank canvas, and I have no ideas at all about what would work best.

The driveway and patio are going to be done soon and we're going for grey block paving and gravel to give it some shape, then large slabs in a french opus pattern to try and match in with a limestone floor in a large kitchen/diner extension which looks out over the rear garden through large bifold doors.

The patio will be around 50sqm (538sqft) and finish at the end of the garage shown in the arial pic (although the house has changed considerably). The garden is about 50m (160ft) long and 8m wide (26ft).

There is an apple tree which we want to keep halfway down the garden and I'd like to have a golf practice net down the end. At presnt there are low hedges around the perimeter and it would be nice to have a certain amount of privacy even if only surrounding the patio.

Would it be best to section the garden, have raised beds, borders, shrubs??? I really have no idea! Low maintenance would be best, as would child friendly with room to run about and play on a quad bike etc.

Any help and inspiration would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.