patrick_besong

New office desk from old cabinets

Patrick Besong
9 years ago

I had a makeshift office desk which consisted of a luan closet door laid over 2 non-matching metal file cabinets. They weren't even the same height and I had to put a board on top of one to help level it out some. While visiting our local ReStore recycled home materials store, I saw 2 cabinets that had some damage to the lower back corners. The drawers were in nice shape - all wood. I bought them for $15 each and sanded them down, primed them, and painted them a semi-gloss white that I used for the trim in my house. To hide the damage to the corners I built out the toe kick on the front to make it flush with the front and added baseboard trim around the bottoms. I took my old luan door and painted it an espresso color left over from painting my kitchen cabinets. I then added a couple coats of polyacrylic to the door to make the finish a little more durable. Finally I bought new drawer pulls for about $5 each. The keyboard tray is simply a leftover shelf board that I painted white and put 14" drawer slides on to make it slide in and out. It's nice and wide. Plenty of room for my keyboard and mouse. Total cost not including paint, the top, and board for the keyboard tray which I already had was $65 - $30 for the cabinets, $30 for the drawer pulls, and $5 for the keyboard drawer slides.

Comments (37)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.