kevsterman

Extreme budget revamp!

9 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Last year I moved into a rented flat that had the most impractical layout imaginable. Its a small galley kitchen except for some inexplicable reason the landlord decided to have a couple of units at each end instead of along the wall. Within the week I removed the two base units and repositioned them, cutting the worktop in half so that it would cover both cabinets. I bought some cheap embossed brick effect wallpaper off Amazon which I thought might look tacky but actually looks great and I bought some white sticky back vinyl to recover the units. Luckily my bathroom had the same lino so I ripped it up from the bathroom and used it to cover the patch left by moving the units. Not sure exactly what I spent but it couldn't have been more than £100 in total. To be honest I still don't really like the room. I'd like to swing the fridge 90 degrees to make access a little easier but if I do that I'm left with a wasted space in the corner where the fridge is now. As I'm planning to stay here for several years I would like to replace the units completely and make it all look really swish (although it would still be on an extreme budget. Ikea here I come) :-)

Before:

After:

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.