gary_arnold6502277

Side building design dilemma

G Arnold
8 years ago
Live in a 1950s, 3 bed semi-detached, one bathroom house which we have been refurbishing top to bottom. Next area to tackle is the side building which is single block wall, bouble height ceiling (well, a pitched roof so double height in places). This side building adjoins the kitchen and contains a few rooms which are open up to the ceiling (see first picture for layout).

My dilemma is which option I go for:

Option 1 (second image): open up the current side door and remove some dividing wall and then fit double doors to the side access (which opens onto a side access which could be made into a nice courtyard type area and lead onto back garden which is a v.good size). This room could then become a dining area, with a seperate utility/downstairs loo off it.

Option 2: (third image): leave side door in place (but replace with a glazed version), leave single external side door and simply make the space a "snug" setup for reading...etc. Would still have seperate utility/downstairs loo off it. This approach would also mean that the room could double up as a guest room (adding a 4th bedroom to the house)...

For both options i would also plan to knock through the back wall of the fireplace and fit a double fronted burner (in effect you would be able to look through the fireplace opening into the other room and the burner would be fit in the middle, heating both spaces and adding a feature). I would also plan to leave the room double height with velux windows being fitted and would move the boiler as shown.

Option 1 appeals as it opens up the space and will let more light into the house and feel airy, but it also potentially leaves "dead space" down the front...

Option 2 appeals because the room can be closed off, double as 4th bedroom (although opening through fireplace would perhaps negate that, without some type of screen)... Its also likely to cost less.

Its not our forever house and the house is in a place popular with older people (retirees) and some young families and want to do something that will add value/make it sellable in a couple of years.

Anyway, interested in views so please share your thoughts :)

Ta

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.