abby_samuel

matching or contrasting wooden floors?

Abby Samuel
7 years ago

Hi,

Any opinions v welcome!

I'm keen to get parquet (either reclaimed or distressed engineered) in our new kitchen diner (a warm colour of wood to warm up monochrome shaker kitchen). We also need to lift the floors in the double reception next to it as they need replacing and levelling, but it will be too expensive to then put the same parquet as the kitchen in this double reception.

We'll probably have to put the old floorboards back down, sand and stain them instead.
The two spaces will be connected either side of a chimney breast that separates them, so not open plan but next to each other and you will see one from the other. The kitchen will also be on a slightly lower level- probably three steps down from the dining room to the kitchen diner, either side of chimney breast.

Would you try to match the parquet and whatever wood stain we use on floorboards in the double reception? Whereas I like quite a golden wood in parquet, not so much in old pine floorboards. Or would you purposefully contrast them e.g dark stain on the old floorboards, warmer colour in parquet? What would the steps be, that go in between the two spaces?

Thanks in advance

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.