lunarocket34

Small Island with small Peninsula or Huge Island Kitchen?

These are 2 of my most recent ideas for my kitchen ( I've discarded a lot of ideas already) for our retirement home. The first has a big island (the yellow box is floor to ceiling pantry).

Kitchen Plans · More Info

The second a smaller island with a small peninsula with seating adjacent to the living room. I was leaning towards the big island plan and then had yet another "what if" moment.

The kitchen is in the front of the house. I've put the range in the island because in my current house I find myself wishing I could see the TV while I'm cooking. I had a downdraft vent in my last house and while not ideal, I do NOT want a giant hood over the island.

The house is post frame construction. The black squares you see in the exterior walls CANNOT be moved, those are the posts but windows can be shifted between them. (even the front door) (these are NOT the engineered drawings that will exist so don't anyone start worrying about post size, it's just representative of the locations.)

I'm open to any and all suggestions (assuming I can get DH to agree) except swapping the living room and kitchen as the view is in the back.

I've included the floor plan showing the adjacent living room and the canning/pantry/freezer room with the door to the back yard, and bits of the bedroom side. Because I know someone is going to ask what's on the other side of that wall.

Interior walls can be moved, added. removed etc as the floor plan is completely open (which has made it harder to figure out). Ceilings will be 10 feet high.

Okay everyone, do your worst! unless you think I've already nailed it (HA, HA).

Comments (36)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.