bestonlinecabinets

Open or Closed Kitchen?

We recently have been seeing a decrease in closed kitchen design's despite being around for so long. Are open kitchens the way to go? What do you guys think?

Open Kitchen
Close Kitchen

Comments (27)

• bhindman39
    6 years ago

I have an open kitchen so I can be part of everything and it's not claustrophobic like some kitchens are.

• tooky58
    6 years ago

The home i owned with my ex had a large dining nook attached to the living room. It was big enough for our large table and buffet hutch. Then you went into the large kitchen. I used to have big potlucks and dinners, there was no problem with flow and people being in the kitchen doing cooking tasks. I would love something like that again. I don't want to see my kitchen from my front door along with all the other rooms in a big row.

• Related Discussions

POLL: Open-plan or closed layout?

Q

Comments (22)
    Jan Johnson, I agree. Cooking fumes are always going to be a problem in open-plan living. Extractor fans get fancier but even some experts agree they're not that efficient. And even if they are, they're usually placed over the hob. What about the oven? Most ovens - Agas are an exception - blow the smells straight back into the kitchen. Very nice if you're baking bread or cakes; not so good for roast meat or anything containing onions. Like most things in interior design (flush-faced doors, blocked off Victorian fireplaces, fake-stone chimney breasts, feature walls) open-plan is a fashion. When it falls out of favour, we'll all be putting back the stud walls the previous owners demolished.
    ...See More

POLL: Toy storage - open or closed containers?

Q

Comments (4)
    Home by Christina it is! Adds a certain charm to kids room when you can actually see the toys. I think that there is a hidden benefit that they can just throw them easily into the box - they learn to clean from an early age and that it's not a hard thing to do!
    ...See More

which one do you prefer

Q

Comments (2)
    It’s a bit like choosing between this: and this: :-)
    ...See More

Open-plan or Closed Layout in a Small Home

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi Laura, I work for Outline Productions and we are making series 2 of ‘Sarah Beeny’s: Renovate Don’t Relocate’, which follows our property expert Sarah helping homeowners transform not just their homes, but the way they use them. We're looking for homeowners who have a design dilemma and have a budget to renovate, for whom Sarah can provide expert advice and help make your design go further! If you're interested, please do get in touch - my email is antoniao@outlineproductions.co.uk.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Rosenhaus Design Group, Inc.
    6 years ago

My apartment complex in New York City is reconfiguring old apartments with the open wall to the living room.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    6 years ago

Definitely open. It creates a great flow and can boost property value.

• D. L.
    6 years ago

Yes, my kitchen is a working kitchen, too, but I do like the look of open kitchens.

I want a hybrid.

Houses need a prep, clean up and garbage room.

• D. L.
    6 years ago

I laugh, because if I had a big enough space, I would definitely have a pantry with a gadget section, where I could plug in crock pots and pressure cookers and I would also have a dishwasher and garbage also behind those closed doors.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

Build a closed concept kitchen for an open concept kitchen???? Isn't one large reason people like open kitchens is that they can interact with their guest while prepping and cooking?

• Hockeymom84
    6 years ago

Semi-closed. I don't like the whole shot-gun shack feeling that some open plans conjure so thankfully we have a floor plan I love.

• Momof5x
    6 years ago
    My home has the closed kitchen concept as it isn't one of the safest places for kids to be around, then again mothers like to keep an eye on their kids while cooking. I think that is probably why the open plan kitchen is so popular and I can see why.

Usually after finish cooking, I change first before greeting guests as don't like cooking smells on clothing.
  • Anne Thompson
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I thought I liked open kitchens until I met someone with an old fashioned closed kitchen with a door and a size as big as the open kitchens. I am now a convert. Open kitchens are more for showing off than use. The closed kitchen hides the mess from view. The open kitchen looks like a mess if a cabinet door gets left open. It was so much easier to keep my toddler out of the closed kitchen (just close the door). The open kitchen advertises itself that you can watch kids in the living room, but my experience with toddlers is the kitchen is their favorite room. They aren't going to stay in the living room while you are doing stuff like cooking with grease in the kitchen. Closed seemed better for entertaining as well. People have a tendency of following you to the kitchen whether it is open or closed, the difference being that in open kitchens guests have a tendency of watching you like a show. Guests, I have noticed, were way more likely to offer to help when hanging out in a closed kitchen. I am not sure why there is a big psychological difference. Eating dinner with guests is more atmospheric without having to worry about the dirty dishes beside you. I also noticed I snacked less with the closed kitchen. Diets were really hard when the fridge is always within eyesight as it is in an open one.

• Bev
    6 years ago

I totally agree with janejhumes! We do have a large opening between the kitchen and the dining room, which is perfect. Call me old fashioned but I love the division of having the kitchen out of site to the living room. I have a formal living room and being able to see the kitchen mess from that room would affect the look of what I want in my house!

• Bev
    6 years ago

I also agree with Anne Thompson!

• User
    6 years ago

I think it depends on what type of entertainer you are. I owned a home where the kitchen was closed in (butler's pantry included) and fairly grand. Me? Hated it, since I spent far too much time away from my guests who inevitably situated/formed their conversation groups outside of the kitchen. I lost half my time with my guests, hidden in a kitchen/running around to bring this and that in.

I also lost my "cooking partner in crime"- my husband- as he was busy making sure everybody felt at home. There were two parties big enough for me to hire help, and it was Heaven on Earth. But since I don't entertain like that often, I prefer to be right there with all my guests.And my husband (if I'm the majority cook) cleans as we go By the time dinner is served, the mess has been marshaled.

Bonus? Often, guests want to "get into the game"- see ingredients, have an idea and hey- can I help?

Oh HECK yes! Some of the best stories I've ever heard were while we all had knives and pans in our hand. A very, very natural way for me to be.

• beautifulquebec
    6 years ago

I have a semi closed kitchen and I love it. I think open concept is pleasing to the eye, but it does not work for me.

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

My dining / cooking area is L-shaped. The cooking area is galley style (my favorite) with a 60 inch aisle. I can still interact with guests while keeping them out of my kitchen...and out of my way.

• User
    6 years ago

I feel like 20 years ago there was a trend for "great rooms". They were casual family rooms built open to the kitchen. But the dining and formal living room were closed to the kitchen.

I think this this is the best layout. There is seating for guests if they want to see you in the kitchen but you still have entertaining space away from dirty dishes.

• PRO
    Lisa Aportela,ASID
    6 years ago

everyone wants open now, people are leaning more towards casual living. the whole "formal" areas are fading out slowly. Open concept is the new way of living. I find clients asking me to create open layouts for there homes more and more.

• User
    6 years ago

Ugh but then you just have one room to live in. What if different people in the family want to be doing different things?

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

Our last house was set up that way Truey. It worked out fine when we had company, but the living room otherwise sat empty. Dead space.. We ended up turning the great room into the dinning room. There was a see thru fireplace seperating it from the kitchen so my guest didn't see my dirty dishes. The living room and dining room was one big living. I have an open living room and dining room now with a closed kitchen and it functions much better.

• PRO
    Fitted furniture Designers & Makers | Unum Design
    6 years ago

Open kichen looks really nice

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

Sure they look nice if you don't use them to actually cook in. I had 11 for dinner last night. I should of took a picture to post what a kitchen looks like that is actually used to cook in and I do clean up as I go.

• Robbi
    6 years ago

My sister likes her closed kitchen, but she has a big dining room/living room combo for entertaining. I have a smaller house (no dining room) so opening the kitchen makes it better for entertaining. Everyone hangs around the kitchen and this way they also flow back and forth into the living room. For events that are TV focused (like Super Bowl or the Academy Awards) people can be in the kitchen and still see the TV.

• PRO
    T&K Contractors Inc.
    6 years ago

The kitchen is the heart of the home. Open design allows a family to conduct daily practical tasks while still having an open dialogue with other members of the household, creating precious memories together. Most of our designs incorporate an open flow, fotos and design ideas are available at our dedicated page: T&K Kitchen Remodeling.

• User
    6 years ago

I sometimes wonder how the trend to open kitchens relates to the rise of obesity.

I mean I know there are lots of reasons for it, but an open plan means you are always in the same room as food.

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

I want a completely open floor plan kitchen, dinning and living room with huge hidden pocket type doors that roll out for the few times when needed and go away when not.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Very interesting concept truey. Had to look it up. In a study conducted by Kim Rollings, an assistant professor in the School of Architecture at the University of Notre Dame participates On average, participants in the open condition made about 10 percent more serving trips than participants in the closed condition. Each time the students got up to get more food, they ended up eating an average of 170 calories more in the open setting compared to the closed floor plan

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.