frznrth

Why I am so unhappy with IKEA and their new Havsen double farm sink

Garth S
6 years ago

Hi

We are finishing up a kitchen reno. We went went with Ikea cabinets and their double Domsjo farm sink. We were "lucky" enough to get one of the last ones available - it has since been discontinued. I installed it on our temporary counters - everything was fine - next day though to our horror we saw that it had cracked - about 6" on the inside and part way up the side.

We called IKEA who said they would take care of it. They gave us the option of either having it repaired or we could wait until the new Havsen was out and replace it with it. We were told by an Ikea rep that this new one would be "Identical". We were also told, again by an Ikea rep that they had so many people wanting a Domsjo (guess they crack on a regular basis) that they would likely be doing another run of them. So we waited, and waited and called and called. Finally I found an Ikea person who actually knew what was going on. The Domsjo would not be made again. The new Havsen would not be "identical" - it is missing the washboard at the back. They would not cover the cost to repair my Domsjo - they would only give me $100 and have me sign off on the warranty.

Reluctantly I put in the Havsen sink - again onto the plywood - we needed a sink in for the quartz to get templated.

We don't like the Havsen:

- it is plain looking without the washboard at the back.

- the drains are more towards the front of the sink meaning the plumbing and garbage disposal take up almost all of the usable space in the cabinet.

- the divide between the two bowls is level with the front and back so if you overflow one bowl the water will overflow onto the counter not into the other side.

- the counter at the back of the sink combined with how the sink sits on the counter is going to be a pain to keep clean.

- we need to pay an extra $537 for the counter that will now run behind the sink.

- the sink where the drains fit is fairly thick, maybe this will prevent cracks, but it left just enough space for the waste king disposal to be installed. I wouldn't be surprised if some disposals won't work with this sink.

If we had know the problems we were going to have we would have looked harder at other options besides Ikea. I didn't realize the their cabinet for the sink would only easily fit an Ikea sink. They sort of have you locked in that way.

Thanks for letting me vent - hope this somehow helps others. Best to know what your getting into when you buy Ikea.

Comments (88)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.